Thread: installing spybot

Default installing spybot

I want to install spybot free but I don't want to install the beta version until it is formally released and tested. So could you please direct me to the older version just before the beta version?

But first I have a couple of questions please:
    I don't remember that when downloading spybot that it asked to backup the registry (just read that in another post). What advantage is it to backup the registry in spybot?
    Second--I'm wondering if I should be accepting tea timer to run as I am running the following programs:
    Avast free (right now 8 days left on a trial of Avast Security) which am thinking of abandoning the trial. Malwarebytes Pro, Windows Defender, Windows Firewall, Superantispyware. Would these programs and tea timer be in conflict?
    Thanks in advance.

On this page,scroll down to where it says Spybot – Search & Destroy©® 1.6.2,that's the one you want to download:
    www.safer-networking.org/dl/

Here is a post explaining the registry backup:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...03&postcount=2

As for using Teatimer,please read this:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/...tection-tools/
    And also,please scroll down to the software compatibility portion of this page:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/about/compatibility/
    hth.

Thanks Zenobia for your help & info. -- but I have afew more questions again please.
    While installing spybot, there were some check boxes to tick but I never did because I didn't really understand what they meant:
    -- Explorer file scan plugin (in file context menu) and
    -- Separate secure shredder application
    If these are somewhat important, can these be ticked in somewhere in spybot now? (and how to get there)?

After install, I updated but have a question regarding immunization. After immunizing, the main immunize page said that there were 15299 protected, but at the top right (by the little bricks) it said that 140393 protected. Shouldn't both of these protection totals should be the same??

Soon after spybot install there was a message on the screen saying that spybot SD protection add-on was ready and to enable or disable it. Well, it just disappeared and I've searched everywhere in spybot but can't seem to find the page where you could tick in the box for I.E. blocking etc. like there used to be.
    Hope I have made this clear and really appreciate your help. Thanks.

You're welcome.
    Selecting Explorer file scan plugin (in file context menu) controls whether or not Spybot's scan option will be added to Windows Explorer's right click context menu.That is usually not checked by default because some people were having trouble with it before.
    There is no way to go back into Spybot and select to use that after install.
    There is a way to do it manually,outside the program.But,I just did that now,and it doesn't appear to have worked.

The Secure Shredder used to be integrated into Spybot,but now it is a separate application.There is nowhere in Spybot that you can go to tick to use it.As far as I know,I think you'd have to uninstall and then checkmark "Enable "Separate Secure Shredder Application" on the select components screen when installing.

To enable Spybot SD protection add-on,you can open Spybot,click Mode,then Advanced Mode,select Tools,then Resident.Place a checkmark beside Resident "SD Helper."
    Right below that is Resident "Teatimer",which you can also choose to enable or disable there,as well.

Hi Zenobia - thanks again... this has eased my mind ... you explain things so well!
    But, could you clarify that immunize query please. After immunizing, how come in the main page of the immunize, it shows 15299 protected but the summary up above by the little pile of bricks shows 140393 protected. Should these two protection totals not read the same or is there a problem here?

Sorry to bother you again, but thanks so much in advance.

No bother at all,I'm glad you posted back.Sorry about that,I forgot to answer your immunization question.

No,there is no problem there.The numbers are supposed to be different.
    This post has a section in it that helps to explain how immunization works:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=281

The 15299 you're seeing on the Main page is for the number of immunizations for each separate thing that is listed there.
    For example,if you scroll down to Hosts,and see under Total 15299,that would be the number of sites that Spybot has added to your hosts file.
    Then,if you scroll up to the Internet Explorer (32 bit) section,and look at \Software (Cookies),the Total there should be less,193 is what I have.That indicates that Spybot has added 193 entries into the registry to help block cookies.

The Total you see up beside the bricks is the number of immunizations overall.

After you installed Spybot 1.6.2,this was posted on the forum:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=67115
    That looks to be the final release of Spybot,so you may want to uninstall Spybot 1.6.2,and install that one instead.
    Last edited by Zenobia; 2012-11-20 at 05:58.