Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spybot 2: Third party cookies and flash cookies?

Default Uninstall doesn't help, either.

I've uninstalled version 2 because of this issue and I've been trying to re-enable third party cookies ever since. For some odd reason, there is something that keeps unchecking this option for me in Firefox 17... It is so annoying because a few facebook games are dependent on 3rd party cookies to function properly. The worst part is, I've decided to give up on Spybot, altogether, because of this issue, and it is still haunting me... Any product that haunts me long after I uninstall it leaves an incredibly horrible reputation... The irony is, that's what this program is supposed to help me to accidentally install.

Hello,

Have you tried if undoing the immunization fixes the issue?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Sadly, that is the first thing I've tried. In fact, I even tried re-installing v2, applying immunizations, removing immunizations... reboot (and many combinations of these steps), still nothing... I'm at the point of deleting my FF17 profile and seeing if it helps. I'm slightly reluctant, because it will take a lot of work to rebuild all my profile settings, and even more aggravation if it fails to fix my issue.

I tried uninstalling and rebooting, and that Firefox setting is still changing itself.

This problem with Firefox not remembering this specific setting started just when I started running Spybot 2 for the first time and now its not just me that its happening to so I'm guessing its caused by Spybot 2.

I reinstalled so I could see that block window again and I took a screenshot.

For some reason it shows two Firefox on that window. One blocked, one not.

That window was a bit confusing, why cant we undo the changes from the spybot program? And why doesn't that window never show up again? You should display something like "currently blocking third party cookies" at the immunization screen with an easy undo, just like the other immunizations.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    This is dated Nov.9th,2012,so should be current:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/...imer-resident/
    So,the Spybot icon in the taskbar shouldn't affect anything.

And Sdhelper looks to be only for IE,so that shouldn't affect anything in Firefox,either:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/supp...teps-tutorial/
    hth.
    How do i disable it? Is it disabled if all the things under System Integration and System Services are disabled?

I don't want to Spybot to do anything on its own, including putting an icon in the taskbar everytime I start my computer.

I found where you can get the Blocking Third Party Cookies window to show up again in Spybot,when you open Welcome Center,click System scan,then it's over to the left,Disable third party cookies.

I tried to get the same results as you,Forcen,but no luck.I have Firefox 17.0,also.
    I normally have Firefox set to accept third party cookies,so I tried blocking 3rd party cookies,restarting firefox a couple times,then restarting my computer twice,and my settings didn't change.

Then,I set Firefox back to accepting third party cookies and did a couple opening and closings of Firefox,and rebooted my computer twice to see if my cookie settings would revert back to not accepting third party cookies,and there was no change there,either.(other than my computer might be feeling a little dizzy.)
    Maybe the third party cookie setting changing in Firefox is random,and it'll change for me later on.If so,I'll post here.

If you'd like to stop sdtray from showing up on startup,you could disable it in msconfig.
    If you're on Vista or Windows 7,click start,type in msconfig,then rightclick msconfig and run as administrator.
    If you're on Windows XP,click Start,run,type in msconfig,then click okay.

Click the Startup tab,scroll down to where it says Spybot - Search&Destroy,uncheck it,click apply,and then OK.

For sdhelper,I don't believe that it is installed by default.Open Spybot Welcome Center,checkmark Advanced User Mode,select Settings.Click the System Integration tab.If it says Install beside Internet Explorer integration,then you won't need to do anything further.

Default How did you...

Thanks, Zenobia, for the testing you did. However, like Forcen, after trying to enable third-party cookies again, it will revert as soon as I re-open Firefox. I read your post over and over again, to figure out what "exactly" you did to re-enable third-party cookies. I have no luck with my FF17... even after deleting all my FF17 profiles... I am at wits end, and I really do not wish to reload my entire computer from scratch.

Default Some Findings

Okay, after playing with my Firefox profiles, deleting them, creating new ones, comparing files... Anyway here's what I got:

If you look at Forcen's screenshot above, you will see that there are two line items in the dialog box that say "Mozilla Firefox". Mine has 3. I deleted my main profile and ALL of them disappeared from that dialog box. When I try to correct the setting, only one of them says 0% protection, leaving 2 other items that are redundantly enforcing the setting. Same thing if I delete the entire prefs.js file. Which leads me to believe that this "Immunization" of sorts modifies 2 other files I am not aware of. If I can only figure out what those other 2 files are, I might get somewhere.

Default Bingo!!!

I figured it out!!!

Okay, so somehow the "Disable Third-Party Cookies" thingy affected 2 of my addons: FEBE and Xmarks. I deleted both of these extensions and their associated folders and BAM! It is fixed. Someone should put a sticky on this post.

Just to clarify: If you install either of these addons, they will appear as separate line items on the "Disable 3rd Party cookies" tool. If you then click those line items, there is no way to "undo" the "fix" to the addons, so you will have to re-install them to remove the settings.
    Last edited by mind20; 2012-11-29 at 08:23.

I'm glad you were able to fix it,mind20.

Yey, reinstalling Xmarks worked for me to! Thanks for finding the fix mind20.

Now the spybot team should be able to reproduce this issue and prevent it from happening to more unsuspecting users right?

Some sort of undo thing in that window would be great.

Thank you all for your time.