Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: getting constant popup msg ... help!

Exclamation getting constant popup msg ... help!

Have been using Spybot S&D for years now. I was prompted by the application, just recently, to upgrade to the latest version. Upon doing so, I'm now faced with having to "take action" repeatedly on pop-up messages (usually a similar looking message). I don't have to tell you what a nuisance this can be. I've tried several different things to address the problem myself,... to no avail. I'm at my wits end with this thing.

The most common of the pop-up messages makes reference to "malicious [something or other] and/or cookies." The website from which I experience this problem most frequently is eBay. Specifically, the aforementioned pop-up message appears with almost every mouse-click when I'm navigating from one page to another on eBay.

If, ultimately, there turns out to be no fix for this problem how would I go about "undoing" the recent upgrade?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

- Kevin

That sounds like sdhelper.
    Since you were prompted to upgrade to the latest version,I'll assume you have Spybot 2.0
    Please open Spybot-S&D Start Center,checkmark Advanced Settings,doubleclick Settings,select the System Integration tab.Does it say Install or Uninstall beside Internet Explorer integration?

Question

It reads Install, Zenobia. What does that mean, as it relates to the problem Spybot 2.0 has with eBay & Paypal?

Thanks.

Hmmm...if it says Install,I expected sdhelper not to be active.
    You are getting these messages when you're using Internet Explorer?
    And which version of Internet Explorer do you have?

Question

Yes, Zenobia, I'm getting these pop-ups (attached) only when using IE. I'm using IE8 (latest XP will allow). I installed Google Chrome, for the time being, as a workaround to avoid getting these constant Spybot pop-ups when visiting eBay & Paypal.

Any idea(s) what I can do to fix the problem? I can't be the only one experiencing this problem with Spybot 2.0. In fact, I'm reading as much on this forum.

Appreciate the replies back, Zenobia.

You're welcome.
    Since you didn't install sdhelper,would you like to disable it,if it is enabled?

I have a different version of IE,so hopefully these instructions are right.Open Internet Explorer.Click the Tools button,and then click Manage Add-ons.
    Under Add-on Types,click Toolbars and Extensions.Under Show,click All Ad-ons.
    Is sdhelper listed in there,and (if it shows this in Internet Explorer 8),is it Enabled?

Question

Following your lead, this is what I discovered (see attached).

I disabled the Spybot-SD IE Protection entry, but the pop-up problem w/eBay & other sites persists. Do I have to reboot the PC for the change to take effect? And if so, will the change stay in place?

I don't think you'd need to reboot your computer for it to take effect.Have you closed and reopened Internet Explorer since disabling sdhelper?

Also,on your version of Internet Explorer,when you click Tools,do you see Search & Destroy Configuration listed there?

Thumbs up

Rebooted the PC last night, Zenobia, and the problem was no more. Thank you for all the help!

Just curious, though. Will the Spybot immunization & scans run normally whenever I run them in the future again, or did disabling that feature inside IE turn-off anything relating to the Spybot detection program? Also, exactly how far-reaching a change did we make in disabling that Add-on thing in IE? Does it only impact visits to specifically targeted websites (e.g. eBay & Paypal) or is Spybot out of the picture altogether when I use IE moving forward?

Thank you.

You're welcome.I'm glad the problem was fixed.

No,disabling sdhelper shouldn't affect scanning or immunization.There's more info here:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/...ion-options-2/

Spybot isn't out of the picture in Internet Explorer entirely with sdhelper disabled if you applied immunization.This helps explain how immunization works:
    Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan
    The first level of protection is immunization (a passive protection). When you “Immunize”, entries are added to the system Registry. This blocks cookies from some sites, places other sites in the restricted zone and blocks the download/execution of selected ActiveX scripts.
    But sdhelper is out of the picture in Internet Explorer when it's disabled.
    If you would prefer having it,you could go back into Manage Add-ons and re-enable it,and this page should help you to be able to make the paypal and ebay sites manageable:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/...tes-blocked-2/
    I installed sdhelper and took Internet Explorer for a browse,but I didn't have much luck getting a pop-up,so I haven't been able to mess with sdhelper much.But,you should be able to configure sdhelper for ebay and paypal,I think.
    For example,when you're on ebay and if you're sure you're not on a spoofed site,when Spybot pops up,you could try clicking Allow and checkmarking Remember this decision:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/wp-c...1/SDHelper.png
    If you were to make a mistake,then this post helps to explain how to go about removing a remembered decision:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...17&postcount=7
    hth.
    Last edited by Zenobia; 2012-12-12 at 02:08.