Thread: adware found after spybot scan

Default adware found after spybot scan

Hello everyone
    I’m new to the forum and hope I’m posting this in the right section. I just wondered if someone can give me some advice please?

I ‘checked for problems’ this morning with spybot search and destroy. The results of the scan showed one problem. Underneath problem it said :- optimuminstaller and under kind it said:- 1 entries adwareC.

I clicked fix selected problems but got a pop up that said:- unexpected error fixing problems (cannot create file). I noticed I could click next to where it said ‘optimuminstaller’ to get more info and within the info that was brought up it said google toolbar. So I figured this was the cause of the problem – I seem to remember installing it with something else but don’t use it. Therefore I uninstalled and re-checked for problems. This time nothing came up.

I just wanted to check I’d done the right thing and that I shouldn’t have done anything different and if nothing came up on the repeat scan does that mean all is OK now even though I didn’t fix it through clicking ‘fix selected prroblems’.

Also does anyone know why google toolbar would come up as an adware (not that I’m really sure what adware is!)

Thanks for any help
    LucyMay :-)

Hello LucyMay,

Did you open the System Scan with a right click and choose "run as administrator"?
    How can I get administrator rights

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Hi Sandra
    Thank you for your reply. I just opened spy bot search and destroy and clicked check for problems. Should I try to run as administrator instead? If I should please can you give me some tips how to - I've looked at the link but when I open spy bot I don't have all those icons. If I right click on check for problems nothing happens?
    Thanks again
    LucyMay

Hello LucyMay,

Yes, please rightclick on System Scan and choose "run as administrator".

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Hi Sandra, I'm not able to find anything that says system scan when I open spy bot. However I clicked on mode at the top and thought maybe if I changed to advanced mode (its set to default mode), that this would maybe bring up that option. When I clicked on advanced mode I get a message that says 'The advanced mode of spybot - S & & D offers more options than the default mode, but those also include some that can do harm to your system if you are not sure what you are doing. Do you really want to switch to advanced mode?' Is this what I need to do in order to find an icon that says system scan?
    Thanks again
    LucyMay

Hello LucyMay,

Sorry. Seems like you are running the old version - Spybot-S&D 1.6.2, not the new Spybot 2.
    Then please right-click the Spybot - Search & Destroy entry in your start menu,
    instead of just left-clicking to start it.
    Choose Run as administrator/take ownership from the context menu.
    You will find a screenshot of this problem in our FAQ:
    How can I get administrator rights?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Thank you again for your reply Sandra. I've right clicked on the spybot search and destroy entry in the start menu and clicked 'run as aministrator'. It then opened up the usual page. I assumed you wanted me to do a scan when I had opened in this way so I clicked on 'check for problems'. The results showed no threats so would you think by uninstalling google toolbar that has solved the problem? Should I always run scans like this (as administrator) or is that just if you've had a problem? Thanks again. LucyMay

Hello LucyMay,

Yes, please always open Spybot like this. For some features you need explicit admin rights, and opening it this way covers that.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

OK thanks very much Sandra - hopefully my problem is sorted out now as not showing any threats. Lucy May