Thread: How to install Professional in Windows 8.1

Default How to install Professional in Windows 8.1

Just received my new Dell XPS 8700 with Windows 8.1 and McAfee LiveSafe. Before I even connect to the internet, I would like to know what I need to do to McAfee and to any Microsoft software prior to downloading Professional.

Hello donandsal,

Quote Originally Posted by donandsal View Post
    Just received my new Dell XPS 8700 with Windows 8.1 and McAfee LiveSafe. Before I even connect to the internet, I would like to know what I need to do to McAfee and to any Microsoft software prior to downloading Professional.
    Are you asking because Spybot Professional includes an anti-virus, as does LiveSafe. Is the latter a trial, if so for how long?

http://www.safer-networking.org/supp...teps-tutorial/

Best regards,
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Tashi,

Thank you for your response. Assuming that SpyBot is better then McAfee, I would rather not wait for the free trial to expire.

As a long time user of free SpyBot, your link gave me no insight to my specific questions on installation. I came across a statement on the main site that said SpyBot is compatible with Windows resident. Is that true with SpyBot Professional and Win 8.1? If so, does that mean I need to manually make no changes to Windows before or after the SpyBot download?

What needs to be done about McAfee? Does it need to be shut off, deleted, uninstalled? Do you know if it has its own uninstall s/w?
    I would think this is a common procedure for any AV replacement with SpyBot, but the Win 8.1 factor is a concern.

Don

Hello Don,

As a long time user of free SpyBot, your link gave me no insight to my specific questions on installation. I came across a statement on the main site that said SpyBot is compatible with Windows resident. Is that true with SpyBot Professional and Win 8.1? If so, does that mean I need to manually make no changes to Windows before or after the SpyBot download?
    Did you see this page? http://www.safer-networking.org/?s=windows+8&lang=en

What needs to be done about McAfee? Does it need to be shut off, deleted, uninstalled? Do you know if it has its own uninstall s/w?
    As only one AV should be installed download your choice so you have it ready to install once you've completed uninstalling the one already in residence.

Information from the product site, scroll to read the entire page.

Best regards.

Tashi,
    Thank you very much. I just could not find these pages on my own.
    Don

Don, glad to help.