Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scan Result

Default Scan Result

Hi all,
    My sincere apologies, I earlier may have posted this thread to the wrong forum - I hope that this is the right one! Please forgive me for causing this confusion.
    This is my first posting. After many years of using Spybot S&D the latest scan result revealed the following 3 items:-

21.08.2006 15:40:49 - found: Windows.Security.InternetExplorer Settings

--- Report generated: 2006-08-21 15:43 ---

Windows.Security.InternetExplorer: Settings (Registry change, nothing done)
    HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN\iexplore.exe!=W=1

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-861567501-1614895754-725345543-1003\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN\iexplore.exe!=W=1

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN\iexplore.exe!=W=1

--- Spybot - Search & Destroy version: 1.4 (build: 20050523) ---
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

My question: Is it safe to 'fix' (remove) theses registry items?

Many thanks in advance.
    With best regards,

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

I suggest you "Fix selected problems" on those detections unless you experienced an issue such as the one described in the following article and intentionally changed those registry entries from their default setting:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Question Similar Situation and Question

I logged on to post a question that turns out to be very similar to Charly's.

I scan all the time and things always turn up clean....until today when I got this on my report:

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-631271675-1031378978-415638407-1006\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN\iexplore.exe!=W=1

I read the article in the reply to Charly's question and it does not apply in my situation. I suspect the answer is to "correct the problem".....but I'm always wary about anything to do with the Registry so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks very much!

Ron in RI

Ron in RI:

Quote Originally Posted by Ron in RI View Post
    I read the article in the reply to Charly's question and it does not apply in my situation.
    Can you explain exactly what your situation is?

In referencing that article, I was trying to point out that there may be a valid reason to intentionally change those registry entries from their default settings of dword:00000001.

However, if you did not intentionally change those entry entries from default setting of dword:00000001, because of that particular problem or some other specific problem, there may be a reason for concern.

Did you intentionally change the following registry entry?

Code:
    [HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-631271675-1031378978-415638407-1006\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN\iexplore.exe]

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default My situation is.....

md usa...

No, I did not intentionally change that registry entry. (I never touch the Registry.)

All I can say is that the HKEY_USERS...etc entry showed up, as cited, on my Spybot scan report. I'd never had anything like it show up on Spybot.

Thanks

Ron in RI

I'm in the same boat as Ron. I never change the registry myself but starting yesterday I am get exactly the same warning from Spybot

HKEY_USERS\...\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN\iexplore.exe!=W=1
    I fixed this on my wife's user last night, rescanned and all was fine. Now it's back on my user.

Is this really something we should worry about? I only noticed this after I updated Spybot last night and no other virus scan or spyware scan finds any errors.

I read on this msdn article that the correct value for this key should be 1, but I don't know what to make of the value shown of "=W=1".
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/security/p...llockdown.aspx

Can someone help...

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by UserChris View Post
    I read on this msdn article that the correct value for this key should be 1, but I don't know what to make of the value shown of "=W=1".
    The detection reads "!=W=1" which indicates "!=" (not equal) "W=1" (dword=1). In other words the registry entry is something other than a "dword:00000001".

Update -- I just tried having S&D fix it on my user, restarted, and it's back yet again. Plus, I have my system restore turned off.

I guess I could try to fix it in safe mode, but that get's back to the question, is this really a problem or could it be a false-positive?

Chris

Question

Hello again:

I had posted about this issue yesterday:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=6766

and was referred to this thread.

I'm still somewhat puzzled as to why this Security Lockdown issue only appeared after I downloaded the new Spybot definitions. It didn't show on a Spybot scan earlier this month. It could well be that the new definitions look for this particular problem, but I'm concerned because it isn't showing on online security checks I've run, such as Sygate, Symantec, GRC

Nor does it show on AdAware or A-Squared [Emsisoft] scans.

When I read that UserChris noted that the alert returns after his fixing it, I had second thoughts about fixing this entry.

It might help to hear if other users are getting similar odd findings with this entry.

Thanks in advance:

-Eliuri

Windows XP Professional Edition

Internet Explorer 6.0

Spybot 1.4

Ad-Aware SE

A-Squared Free Trojan Scanner

Zone Alarm Security Suite 6.1.744.001

2nd update -- I've tried to fix it in safe mode and it is fine for my wife's user, but keeps coming back on my user - even when I fix it in safe mode.

Every time Spybot reports that it was able to fix it, but when I run another spybot check (regardless if I restart or not) the same warning comes up.

Oddly, when I navigate to that exact key using regedit, I can't find any binary data for iexplore.exe. There is a key for LOCALMACHINE_CD_UNLOCK of "0x00000001" but no associated binary data for iexplore.exe.

md usa spybot fan, since you don't have this issue coming up on your system, can you navigate to the iexplore key and see if it has binary data for you and what it is set at? FYI, I'm running Windows XP Home, SPII, with all the latest updates.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Chris