Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: "Windows Care" called me about my freezing up problem!

Default two problems

Quote Originally Posted by Robybel View Post
    Hi Michele2012

Yes, you can continue
    Hello Robybel:
    Okay, a couple of problems. I continued with uninstalling Combofix like you layed out here. I had to click the Avast continue button about 100 times. (I wonder why you didn't have me disable Avast.) And then Combofix scanned my computer again and created a log at c:\combofix.txt. Is it supposed to do this. I'm not sure it is uninstalled. There is still an icon on the desktop but I do not see it in add/remove programs. Where can I look to see if it remoed it? I don't see it in c:\programs but I do see the txt log at c:\combofix.txt.

Also, your link to remove Java doesn't work. Can you give me another link? I would really like to get rid of this because it seems to me that a lot of my problems began when I updated Java or installed Java. I kept having something pop up to update Java and I never did for about 6 months because I didn't know what it was. Then I decided to go ahead and it seems I had problems after this.

Thanks. I'll wait for these two answers.

Default continuing...

Hello Robybel,
    I'm continuing and doing some more things you said to do.

1. Making your Internet Explorer more secure:
    Mine was set as suggested except mine doesn't have Navigate sub-frames across different domains (which you said set to Prompt), but mine says Navigate windows and frames across different domains and that is checked to disable. Is this ok?

2. Enable Protected Mode.
    I don't have the line or the box to check for Enable Protected Mode. Looking on the internet it says that XP automatically has these set to Protected Mode.

3. Use and update an anti-virus software.
    Is that what Avast is? If not, what would you recommend?

Probably a dumb question....but....Do the IE latest security patches come in the Windows Update?

Thanks.

Malware Team: Emeritus

Hi Michele2012

1. Making your Internet Explorer more secure:
    Mine was set as suggested except mine doesn't have Navigate sub-frames across different domains (which you said set to Prompt), but mine says Navigate windows and frames across different domains and that is checked to disable. Is this ok?
    Yes this is OK

2. Enable Protected Mode.
    I don't have the line or the box to check for Enable Protected Mode. Looking on the internet it says that XP automatically has these set to Protected Mode.
    Ok! This is a default functionality of Win XP, very good.

3. Use and update an anti-virus software.Is that what Avast is? If not, what would you recommend?
    Avast, is a good Antivirus.

Probably a dumb question....but....Do the IE latest security patches come in the Windows Update?
    Yes IE updates when Windows updates.
    - Proud Graduate of WTT Classroom -

- Member of UNITE -

Default please refer to my post above "Two problems"

Thanks for the last replies. Did you read my post above that one titled Two Problems? I've got two other questiions in there. Thanks.

Malware Team: Emeritus

Hi Michele2012

Sorry, I did not see your post

Okay, a couple of problems. I continued with uninstalling Combofix like you layed out here. I had to click the Avast continue button about 100 times. (I wonder why you didn't have me disable Avast.) And then Combofix scanned my computer again and created a log at c:\combofix.txt. Is it supposed to do this. I'm not sure it is uninstalled. There is still an icon on the desktop but I do not see it in add/remove programs. Where can I look to see if it remoed it? I don't see it in c:\programs but I do see the txt log at c:\combofix.txt.
    OK!

Try this

Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications as they will interfere with our tools and the removal. If you are unsure how to do this, please refer to our sticky topic How to disable your security applications

then:

• Click START then RUN
    • Now type Combofix /uninstall in the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the X and the /, it needs to be there.

Also, your link to remove Java doesn't work. Can you give me another link? I would really like to get rid of this because it seems to me that a lot of my problems began when I updated Java or installed Java. I kept having something pop up to update Java and I never did for about 6 months because I didn't know what it was. Then I decided to go ahead and it seems I had problems after this.
    Java is very important. read the following article

http://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ml#post4018821

For your mouse problem,

Set the speed

Click start > comtrol panel > mouse . On the Pointer options tab you can set the speed.

For double click/single click:
    1.Click Start, and then click My Computer.
    2.On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
    3.On the General tab, click Single-click to open an item (point to select), to enable or click the box to clear it to restore the double click function.

Then click OK.
    - Proud Graduate of WTT Classroom -

- Member of UNITE -

Default Done!

Hello Robybel:
    I guess I'm done except reading in depth 8. Spyware Prevention.

The Java icon didn't show up in my control panel to disable it so I went to add/remove programs and removed it altogether (I hope) and then deleted the folder in Program Files. If I find I need it for something I will download it again and see if it shows up in there and figure out how to disable it.

I guess I'm done. The computer seems to be working good. Thanks for all your great help.

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread .
    Member of UNITE and ASAP