Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Windows Care" called me about my freezing up problem!

Malware Team: Emeritus

Hi Michele2012

Good job

Updates and upgrades

Your java is out of date. Click your start button > Control Panel
    • Use the drop down menu beside view by and change it to small icons
    • locate java (looks like a coffee cup) in the list and click on it
    • when the java console opens click the update tab
    • Click update now

Next, clear the java cache
    • Double-click the Java icon in the control panel.
    • On the General tab, Click Settings under Temporary Internet Files.
    • On the Temporary Files Settings screen, Click Delete Files.
    • check all boxes
    • Click OK

Ok Michele2012, now, use your computer, and do the things you usually do very often, take a day of the time, later please let me know, how your computer is running, and if there are outstanding issues
    - Proud Graduate of WTT Classroom -

- Member of UNITE -

Default Explorer update

Explorer update

Okay, I will set another restore point and update my Java. I didn't know what it was and seemed to have trouble whenever I update stuff so didn't.

Question: A lot of websites I go to tell me I need to update my Internet Explorer because they aren't going to handle it anymore. They even say I have Version 7. I have Version 8.0.6001.18720IC. But I have my automatic updates turned off because I never know what these updates are and what I need or not. Is that why I get these messages about the versions of my Internet Explorer?

Thanks. Michele

Default Java question

You don't mention this in your instructions...

When I go to clear the java cache, by going to Jave icon in Control Panel, General Tab, Settings...the Delete Files box is there but up top there is a check mark in Keep Temporary Files On My Computer. Should I uncheck this box and then click Delete Files? Or just click Delete Files with this checked?

Thanks.
    Michele

Hi Michele2012

Question: A lot of websites I go to tell me I need to update my Internet Explorer because they aren't going to handle it anymore. They even say I have Version 7. I have Version 8.0.6001.18720IC. But I have my automatic updates turned off because I never know what these updates are and what I need or not. Is that why I get these messages about the versions of my Internet Explorer?
    is very important to have the system constantly updated, so you avoid intrusion by malicious, which exploit the bug, on the systems not upgraded.

In addition, you must turn on automatic updates, because very often they are released critical updates.

When I go to clear the java cache, by going to Jave icon in Control Panel, General Tab, Settings...the Delete Files box is there but up top there is a check mark in Keep Temporary Files On My Computer. Should I uncheck this box and then click Delete Files? Or just click Delete Files with this checked?
    Yes, uncheck this box and then click Delete Files.

- Member of UNITE -

Default Two updates won't install

Hi Robybel,

I turned on Updates and it installed 118, 2 of which fail to install (KB2656370 and KB2698023). Both say: A security issue has been identified that could allow an unauthorized remote attacker to compromise your system and gain control over it.

After going to Run, Eventvwr, there are 6 Application errors (4 msinstaller and 2 NativeWrapper) and 5 System errors (2 Windows Update Agent and 3 Service Control Manager).

Should I ignore all this and remove those two updates from installing? Because it keeps trying to install them every time I close down my computer.

Thanks. Michele

Hi Michele2012

Yes, You can decline, those updates.

Please let me know, how your pc is running, and if there are any outstanding issues

- Member of UNITE -

Default How my computer is running

How my computer is running...well, I still get application hang when trying to copy from a website and paste to Word. Maybe it's just the website and the way it is set up because it only does it on half the websites and others are fine.

This morning I had 4 events where it hung up and wanted to send the error report to Microsoft, which I don't do any more since I finally did sent a report once and then got that call from the foreign sounding "Windows Care" man.

In eventvwr I had 3 application hangs in Applications and in System I had 1 DCOM error and 3 Service Control Manager errors.

Can you figure out what is causing this? When Avast download Google Chrome it didn't hang up copying (but I didn't like it so removed it).

Anyway, if nothing can be done about this in this thread, I want to thank you for helping me in making sure I am not infected. I appreciate you.

One last thing, can I remove Spybot? It is now in my tray and could be slowing me down. I don't know how to get it not to run at startup.

Hi Michele2012

Ok! Thanks for letting me know about your issues. we will come back to that don't let me forget

Follow this step

Please download Windows Repair (all in one) from here

Install the program then run it

Go to step 2 and allow it to run Disk check

Once that is done then go to step 3 and allow it to run SFC

On the the Start Repairs tab => Click the Start

Click on the select all check box and then click on Start

DON'T use the computer while each scan is in progress.

Restart may be needed to finish the repair procedure

When done, let me know

- Member of UNITE -

Default Don't close the thread

Don't close the thread. I haven't ran the Windows repair yet because I need my computer more than ever in the next week and then I will do it. I'm afraid it might cause a problem so I will do it in one week. Thanks.

Hi Michele2012

Ok No problem.

- Member of UNITE -