Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the

Default Windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the

Hi,

I think I remember reading in this forum in the past that someone else had this problem but I can't seem to find it with a search here and my situation is probably different anyway so her is my problem.

While in folders I keep getting an error box that says what is in the title of my thread. It says sorry for the inconvenience (title box wasn't long enough). The choices are Debug, Send error report, or Don't send. I hit Don't send because the other two don't seem to do anything. After hitting don't send the screen blips and the folders disappear but everything else I'm working on is ok. I then enter the folders again for a few minutes or so and then I get the box again, sometimes it not even 2 mins, it's immediately. Really is a pain in the you know what.

I have an HP a1330n running XP Media Center Edition with Service Pack 3

This happens with all folders on your computer?Is this related to Spybot,or just a general error you get when going into folders?

You could try going to Start,then Run.
    Type or copy and paste in sfc /scannow(make sure there is a space between the sfc and the /scannow.
    It would be a good idea to have your Windows installation CD or DVD handy in case you are prompted for it,also.
    Please let me know how it goes.
    Last edited by Zenobia; 2013-01-01 at 06:57.

Thank you for responding.

It doesn't seem to happen with all the folders just some of them. It is not necessarily a Spybot problem but I can't swear that I'm not infected. I regularly run Spybot and have McAfee as AV protection. Hopefully, that answers your questions. Anymore just let me know.

Now, I tried the scannow and after it did its' checking on files returned a box saying that the files that are required to run Windows properly must be copied to the DLL cache and to insert my Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD.

The problems is I don't have SP3 on CD. I'm sure that was a download patch. I don't even have Windows on CD. It came preloaded on the HP machine. I do have the recovery disks I made when I first set it up on 4/7/06. I tried running it without the disks but it won't run, it wants a CD.

Yes,I almost posted back last night,because I remembered having somewhat similar problems when I ran sfc /scannow on my XP computer,but then I figured I'd wait and see if maybe you weren't prompted for the disc.

Could you follow this to find the error in Event Viewer and copy it here?
    www.winxptutor.com/eventlog.htm

Ok, I did that and have the event properties box. The directions say there should be a copy button but there is not and it won't copy and paste.

There are a lot of errors but the ones of the last several days all seem to be the same. The faulting module is avcdx.ax.

Any thoughts on how I can get the thing to you other than typing it all out - please don't ask me to do that, lol.

Also, if you get a chance I put a new request in about Spybot deleting my temp files.

Thanks a lot for your help with these issues.

Yes,start typing!
    Just kidding.

Please bear with me,I'm rusty when it comes to Windows XP.
    It won't let you rightclick and Copy,but if you highlight the info with your mouse,then press ctrl + C,it should copy the info you've highlighted,and let you paste it here.

When you're looking through event viewer,anything that starts out with this is probably what we're looking for:
    Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2800.1106, faulting module

It let me highlight going backwards and then ctl C. The following is the error code for the last several days. Multiple instances but all the same.

Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.5512, faulting module avcdx.ax, version 0.0.0.4, fault address 0x00005259.

No, it doesn't. I did a search for avcdx.ax yesterday and it didn't turn up anything. Now I'm searching for corecodec. I don't expect it to find anything if it didn't find the file.

Could you go to Start,then Run,copy and paste in %WINDIR%\system32,and look to see if avcdx.ax is in there for me,in addition to your search?