Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the

I don't see it. I manually looked in there and in the subfolders and then scanned just system 32 also. I don't understand why it shows up in the event viewer but not in a scan. Do you?

A scan with Spybot?Probably because avcdx.ax isn't necessarily a bad thing.
    And if it doesn't show on a search,it might not be present.
    It's probably not hidden,but to be sure,could you follow this to temporarily show hidden files and folders?
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...windows/#winxp
    Then could you look for avcdx.ax again?Thanks.

I'm sorry - not a scan, a search. I'll show the hidden files and then run a search and let you know the results. I still don't understand why it shows up in the Event Viewer as a problem (red X) but doesn't show up in a search.

After un-hiding system files and folders it is showing 2 instances. The first is in the System 32 folder in Windows on my C drive. The second is in the same place on my second hard drive (D). It's there because I copied a bunch of folders and files to my D rive when my original C drive was going bad. I put a copy on D just to have it just in case.

They are not the same size though. The old one (from the D drive) is 121KB and the one on the C drive is 22.5KB. I don't know if that means anything or not.

Sorry,I don't mean to drag this out,but I also don't want to unregister or remove something you may need later on,broken as it may be.

When you are in folders and get the Windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close error,would you happen to be working with video files or anything?

Could you rightclick the avcdx.ax file,select properties and tell me what is listed beside Open With:?

General Version Summary (Tabs)

AVCDX.ax

Type of File: AX File
    Opens with: Unknown Application

Size: 121 KB
    Size on Disk: 124 KB

Created: Saturday, April 21, 2012
    Modified: Friday, January 13, 2006
    Accessed: Today, January 4, 2013

Advanced

These are the general properties. And yes, I think I might be in folders with videos when this happens. Of course, while I'm playing with it right now it's not acting up so I'm not positive. What I mean is I know I'm definitely in folder with videos when it happens but I'm not sure if it's exclusively so.

This is the file from the C: drive. The file from the D: is the same (including size now) with the exception of the date created which is 7/14/2011. One other thing for you to know is that these are only showing up when I uncheck "hide system files". All the other suggestions in the list to show files I already had the way they asked for it to be so the file only showed up when we opened the system files.

Don't worry about taking time to fix this - it's just a nuisance (the problem I mean) not a critical thing. I'd much rather we get it right and I appreciate the help. You must be in Europe or Asia (or a night owl) since you seen to respond when I'm asleep and vice versa.

I'm of the night owl variety.

The avcdx.ax file on your C:\ drive should be the 0.0.0.4 version.
    If you rightclick the avcdx.ax on your D:\ drive and select properties,does it show you the version info for the file anywhere in there on Windows XP?

They are both version 0.0.0.4.

Do legitimate programs put files into the hidden system files?

Okay,good.

Yes,sometimes legitimate programs put files into the hidden system files.
    Could you please check the avcdx.ax on your C:\ drive at VirusTotal?
    https://www.virustotal.com/
    Click Choose File,then go to C:\WINDOWS\system32\AVCDX.ax,and once it's uploaded,click Scan it.
    And,when it's done the analysis,could you copy the link showing in your address bar and post it here?
    I've found online where avcdx.ax has sometimes caused some weird behaviour for a few people,but this is just to doublecheck.If stuff is found,I'll refer you to the malware removal forum.
    If not,I'll just continue here.

When I got to it, it said it had already been analyzed previously. Did I want to look at that one or re-analyze it. So, I had it re-analyze it. Here is the link:

https://www.virustotal.com/file/5dcc...is/1357438254/