Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the

Yes,re-analyzing was best to do.
    Detection ratio: 0 / 45
    Looks good.

I found how to get the Installed Software list in the new Spybot,but I don't think the saved .xml file will work real well here.That's just messy.

Can you go to Start,click Control Panel,and then double-click Add or Remove Programs?
    Is CoreAVC DirectShow Video Decoder,CoreAVC Video Decoder or CoreAVC High Definition H.264 Video Decoder Professional listed in there?Or anything that looks like it might be related?

I see absolutely nothing close to CoreAVC in there.

Okay.AVCDX.ax still might be needed,if it was included with another program,or perhaps CoreAVC doesn't show in add/remove programs.It's hard to tell,since AVCDX.ax opens with an Unknown Application.

But,since AVCDX.ax is causing problems,it might be worth disabling it.If you have any problems afterwards,we should be able to re-enable it,plus you do have a backup of the file on your D:\ drive.

So,we could unregister it.
    If you'd like to try that,go to Start,then Run.
    Put this beside Open:
    regsvr32 -u "C:\WINDOWS\system32\AVCDX.ax"
    Then click OK.
    Let me know if it tells you if it was successful.

Then,go to C:\WINDOWS\system32,find AVCDX.ax and rename it to AVCDX.ax.old.Cut and paste it to somewhere where you can find it again,in case it's needed later.

If you do that,please let me know if the error goes away.
    Also,if you view any videos,let me know if it still runs smoothly,or if it looks choppy,etc.

Instead of doing all that could I just cut and paste it to a thumb drive and see if I still get the error message and also see if videos would play without any problems? If that doesn't accomplish the same thing let me know and I'll do what you suggest.

Yes,you can try that,if you wish.But,in my opinion,unregistering the file would be better.

Well Ollie, I think you've got it!!! I did what you suggested about 3 hours ago and have been playing with it and so far so good. I renamed the file and moved it over to a thumb drive. So this leads to a few questions:

1. How long should I give it before we declare victory?
    2. Should I save the file and if so for how long?
    3. Again, before declaring victory what else should I be looking for that might
    "screw up" by removing this file? Like some other program not functioning
    correctly.
    4. Is there anything else you should warn me to be on the lookout for over the
    few days or weeks?
    5. If down the road I find a problem that I think might be related to removing
    this file and I have done away with the renamed file do you think the other
    file on my D: drive could be substituted for it?
    6. If I should have a problem and need to get back to you and/or this thread
    how long do you save this dialogue?

1.After 3 hours,if you haven't seen the error,you're probably good,if you have been into folders,etc.
    2.Yes,please save the file.Keep it for a while yet,just in case.A week or so,at least.
    3.Here's a description at wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CoreAVC
    4.Nope,just the initial 'Windows Has Encountered A Problem and Needs To Close' error message.
    5.Yes,I do think the file on your D:\ drive could be substituted for it,if need be.
    6.This will remain open indefinitely,and you can come back to it at any time.

Zenobia, I want to thank you for your patience and your help with my problem. You were fantastic to work with and I really appreciate it very much.

THANK YOU

You're very welcome.