Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Browse to save

Seems I have no other choice. Will take some time though to note all the pws, favourites etc...
    I'm gone til next friday and have no time to do all that before next weekend.
    Will my thread still be there next weekend? Just so I can let you know that bts is still there...

Yes I'll leave this open for you. I'll post some instructions later that may make it easier to keep what you need.
    Member of UNITE and ASAP

Ok, I saved my passwords with passwordfox and started using roboform to keep my data independend from my browser in the future. I installed opera and red a few new articles regarding other users problems and solutions with browse to save. Strangely enough they seemed to get it fixed by searching their registry for "click to save" or "continue to save" and then deleting these entries.
    I didnt find any entries in my registry... :(
    I'll start entering my pws in roboform now and when I'm done delete firefox and my profile and start from scratch.
    Any other suggestions? What do you thing about Roboform? Is there any better alternative?
    Thank you again, greets,
    disneykiller

Done. Deleted ff and did a new install. Now I'm testing it. Do you know what akamaihd.net is good for? It appeared on almost every page (seen it in noscript) and now it seems to be needed for facebook? On trojanerboard.de someone mentioned it in context with coupondropdown which seems to be very similar to browse to save / click to save. He found out that it appeared on alost every page since he installed an extension called FreeHDSport.TV. He uninstalled that extension and now akamaihd.net only appears on facebook.
    Anyway, I have no FreeHDSport.TV extension.
    FB doesn't seem to work without akamaidh.net. What happens if I allow it?

Did I mention that noscript found superfish and some other script called something like ...addcompanion or so on nearly every page? I didnt allow it though. Important?

Hi disneykiller,

FB doesn't seem to work without akamaidh.net. What happens if I allow it?
    It seems that akamaidh.net is a content deliverer. Depending on your content settings in your FB profile allowing may be required for FB.Giving it temporary permission will allow you to access FB.

Did I mention that noscript found superfish and some other script called something like ...addcompanion or so on nearly every page? I didnt allow it though. Important?
    That's one of the problems with FF extensions. Some are created by 3rd parties and can be bundled with almost anything. The above mentioned may not show up in your extension/addon list because they are actually inside another extension. What extensions have you added to the new FF?

Is browse to save still there?
    Member of UNITE and ASAP

Hi,
    no bts-links so far.
    These are my activated extensions:
    2-click-like 2.0
    Adblock plus 2.2.2
    Better Privacy 1.2.8
    Download Helper 4.9.13
    HTTPS everywhere 3.1.3
    IDGARD 4.0.019
    Noscript 2.6.4.4
    RoboForm lite 3.4.7
    SocialFixer 7.501

I think I better wait a few days before I party. But up to now all seems well.
    next issue: How do I prevent that from happening again. I still think it's strange that there is so little information and complaints regarding browse to save, click to save and so on. Where does it come from, why do I get no alerts from my antivirus, what to do to avoid an infection...
    Thanks so far,
    disneykiller

Hi disneykiller,

I haven't seen anything bad reported about the addons you have. Since the problem seems to have , at least for now, try using the computer for a couple of days. If everything seems to be okay we'll clean up the tools we used.

The best way to prevent these is to be very carefful when installing something. Many 3rd party programs/applications come bundles with something else. Always read what the program is asking you to install besides the actual program. The extras are usually checked by default.

Post back and let me know how you are making out.
    Member of UNITE and ASAP

Hi oldman960,
    everything seems to be okay so far.
    So the conclusion is to delete your profile and addons and start from scratch if you want to get rid of bts (still not 100% sure, if its not hiding somewhere on my hdd). btw: roboform seems to do a good job, if you want to handle your logins,identities and pws. I have it on office-pc, notebook, android and it works just fine.
    So how do we clean up now?

Hi disneykiller,

Sorry abut not getting back to you sooner. It can become quite imbedded and as mentioned may actually be part of an other extension.

We'll clean up the tools now.

From your desktop, please delete, if present
    • any notepads/logs that we created
    • aswMBR.exe
    • mbr.zip
    • mbr.dat
    • DDS.scr
    • SystemLook.exe

Open AdwCleaner and click uninstall.

Next

Open OTL then click the Clean Up button. You may get prompted by your firewall that OTL wants to contact the internet - allow this. A cleanup.txt will be downloaded, a message dialog will ask you if you want to proceed with the cleanup process, click Yes. This will do some clean up tasks and delete some of the tools you have downloaded plus itself.

Next

Create new a Restore Point
    • Click your Start button
    • In the Search box type [B]create restore[/B
    • click on Create a restore point
    • Click the System Protection tab
    • click Create
    • Give your restore point a name and click Create
    • Wait while Windows creates a system restore point for you

Remove old Restore Points
    • Click the Start button
    • In the search box, type Disk Cleanup
    • in the list of results, click Disk Cleanup
    • If prompted, select the drive that you want to clean up, and then click OK.
    • In the Disk Cleanup for (usually C:\) dialog box, click Clean up system files. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    • If prompted, select the drive that you want to clean up, and then click OK.
    • Click the More Options tab
    • under System Restore and Shadow Copies, click Clean up.
    • In the Disk Cleanup dialog box, click Delete.
    • Click Delete Files, and then click OK.

Updates and upgrades

Your java is out of date. Click your start button > Control Panel
    • Use the drop down menu beside view by and change it to small icons
    • locate java (32bit) in the list and click on it
    • when the java console opens click the update tab
    • Click update now
    • Decline any additional installs that may be offered during the update.

Some Recommendations and prevention tips

Basic security consists of 1 antivirus program, 1 resident antispyware program, 1 on demand antispyware program and a firewall. Those you have now.

You can use Spybot to install a Custom Hosts file.
    1-Left-click the "Spybot - Search & Destroy" shortcut to open the program
    2-Right-click an item in the list of immunizations and click "Deselect All."
    3-Scroll down to the bottom of the list and click the checkbox to the left of "Global (Hosts)" under the "Windows" header.
    4-Click "Immunize" on the Spybot toolbar.

OR

A guide to understanding and using the hosts file.

Learn how your Hosts file can protect you and how you can protect it.
    Besides the Hosts file information, there are links to a very good updated hosts file, a host file manager. and some programs that can protect your hosts file.
    HOSTS

Please read the info on disabling the DNS Client before installing a custom hosts file.

-Secure your Internet Explorer

From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
    • Click once on the Security tab
    • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
    • Click once on the Custom Level button.
    • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
    • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
    • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
    • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
    • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
    • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
    • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
    • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
    Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

- Make sure you have reset Windows Updates to your chosen option. Click your start button > Control Panel > System > Windows updates (lower left) > change settings

- Keep your antivirus program updated, as well as any other security programs you have.

-More tips and programs can be found HERE

Please post back if you have any problems.

Take care
    Member of UNITE and ASAP