Thread: Startup tools

Default Startup tools

I am running Windows XP

I recently had to format my hard drive and reload everything.

In Windows task Manager, under Processes, there are several iexplore entries after I close Internet Explorer.

Prior to my reload using the oldeer version of spybot I was able to easily disable several unneded items from starting automatically when I start windows. Sybot provided good explanations and recommendations and was easy to use.

The new Spybot 2 gives less information about a specific process and is harder to use. Help please.

I agree that the new Spybot gives less information.

For example listed on my Spybot "Start Center" under "startup tools" under the "Browse system settings" under the "Hosts" tab I see a lot of malicious sites for address 127.0.0.1.

I look at the Windows 7 Hosts file and found that there is a remark that these are inserted by Spybot.

What are these sites for? What is the use of these sites being stored in Spybot Start Center?

No information can be found under Spybot or its Help.

Please inform us.

simplengood,for the reasons why those sites are stored in your hosts file,please read this:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/hosts-file/
    And this:
    Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan
    The fourth level of protection is through the addition of HOSTS file entries. This is a passive protection. The HOSTS file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names and is loaded into memory at startup. The HOSTS file must contain one entry: "127.0.0.1 localhost". The IP address 127.0.0.1 is the local machine. Windows checks the HOSTS file before it queries any DNS (Domain Name System) servers, which enables entries in the HOSTS file to override addresses in the DNS. Adding an entry such as “127.0.0.1 malware.com” to the HOSTS file prevents the access of “malware.com” through IE because any connection attempts are redirected back to the local machine. HOSTS file entries can also be used to block other applications from connecting to the Internet.
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=281
    Last edited by Zenobia; 2013-01-17 at 06:54.

mheitowit,you could try running Internet Explorer without add-ons,and then check to see if the iexplore.exe process continues to run after closing Internet Explorer or not.You can do that by going to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >and doubleclicking Internet Explorer(No Addons).

Thank Zenobia.
    I wish to know if I can add address or addresses to the Windows 7 Hosts file to ban certain sites I don't want to be accessed on my computer.
    For example, can I use Notepad to type in "dont_want_to_see.com" to address 127.0.0.1?

Zenobia you mentioned IE. Does your reply applies to Firefox, Safari, Opera, Google Chrome, Netscape?

You're welcome.
    Yes,you can ban certain sites using the hosts file that way.These directions should work with Windows 7:
    http://www.online-tech-tips.com/wind...-applications/

This part of my reply?
    Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan
    Adding an entry such as “127.0.0.1 malware.com” to the HOSTS file prevents the access of “malware.com” through IE because any connection attempts are redirected back to the local machine.
    Yes,those instructions also apply to Firefox,Safari,Opera,Google Chrome,and Netscape,none of those browsers should access any of the sites listed in the hosts file with the 127.0.0.1 address,also.

Default Thank you Zenobia

I was able to fix my IE issue. But the other question is trying to determine what starts automatically when I boot my computer. On the previous version you gave excellent descriptions of what most items were and how important or dangerous they were. I am not finding that in the new version.

Glad you got it fixed.
    Yes,the startup tools are more advanced in this version,so it's best to be careful.
    The descriptions aren't quite the same as tey were in the other version,but if you are in the Autorun tab(for example),and expand anything listed,then click on it once with your mouse to highlight it,and rightclick,select Search,then you can select Google,and see whats listed on that about the entry.There is also info in the window down below,file info,and version info,etc.
    And in Autorun,a short description should show in the confirmation window before anything is disabled or deleted.