Thread: Concern that Teatimer isn't working

Default Concern that Teatimer isn't working

Firstly, thank you for a fantastic and free product.

1. How can I be sure that teatimer.exe is working? It shows as running in my processes but I haven't seen a pop-up regarding registry changes for about 2-3 months. Is this anomalous? I've recently upgraded Adobe, for example, though an alert was not presented.
    2. teatimer.exe is usually the second highest process running on my computer and I'm beginning to think that it's responsible for sending my fan into a frenzy. Is there any truth to this?
    3. I wanted to experiment in turning teatimer.exe on and off. In advanced mode, under tools I can't find a checkbox to uncheck to disable teatimer.exe. The closest option I can find is "Resident" but the description refers to showing a report. How can I disable teatimer.exe?

I'm also a little confused by this question in the FAQs section:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/...imer-resident/

Is teatimer.exe no longer being developed/supported?
    Last edited by DennisNedry; 2013-01-20 at 12:55.

That FAQ is for Spybot 2.0.
    Teatimer uses a whitelist so you don't see it as much when installing/uninstalling non-malicious programs,etc.,unless you enable paranoid mode.

I no longer have Spybot 1.6.2 installed to look,but under Tools,Resident,Resident "Teatimer" should be there with a checkbox beside it to enable or disable teatimer.

Your description definitely sounds like Spybot 1.6.2,but just to be sure we're on the same page,do you have an icon on your desktop that looks like this?
    http://www.creativemasterpieces.com/...pybot_icon.gif
    Or does your Spybot icon say Spybot-S&D Start Center underneath of it?

Thanks for the reply Zenobia. I can confirm that I have the same shortcut icon as the *.gif you linked to. Based on your description, I've found the required checkbox. Teatimer is active (though inactive on the main administrator account).

In the logs presented in the Tools > Resident tab, I have two types of "Allowed":

1. Allowed (based on user decision)
    2. Allowed (based on authenticode whitelist)

Does "based on user decision" mean I actively clicked a confirm/deny alert box? If so, something's up considering I haven't seen a single alert box in many months despite what's logged.

Do you know of any false positive that I could use to trigger teatimer.exe to know for sure that it's working?

Perhaps I'm confusing what white-listing is. Is the white-list limited and unique to my local machine or is it a universal list generated by Spybot for all users?

Finally, how does one enable "paranoid mode" and does it leech significantly on my machine's processing?

Thanks for your patience and time.
    Last edited by DennisNedry; 2013-01-21 at 15:23.

Hello,

To return to the "old" way of monitoring right click on the TeaTimer icon in the system tray and change it to "Paranoid Mode".
    This thread has more details on the "new" TeaTimer.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

No,sorry,I don't know of any false positives that would trigger teatimer.
    I used to notice in my teatimer logfiles that it would show Allowed(based on user decision) when I hadn't had an alert box from teatimer,also.Just a bit of a quirk,I guess.

I believe the white list is more of a universal list for all users.

I didn't run teatimer in paranoid mode very often,only once in a while,but I didn't notice any slowdowns or anything like that when I did,so it shouldn't be a problem.

And spybotSandra has you covered on the "how to run teatimer in paranoid mode" part.