Thread: spybot hangs at ""Scanning for Pricepeep"

Default spybot hangs at ""Scanning for Pricepeep"

For some reason, Spybot stops scanning at "Scanning for Pricepeep".

I realize Pricepeep is some sort of silly adware thing, but a full system search (including registory) doesn't show it.....?

Any ideas how to remove this, so Spybot can run?

Running Win XP
    Firefox
    Spybot 2.0.12.0

Malware Team: Emeritus

Hi and Scotty25

My name is Robybel.

I would be more than happy to take a look at your log and help you with solving any malware problems you might have. Logs can take a while to research, so please be patient and know that I am working hard to get you a clean and functional system back in your hands. I'd be grateful if you would note the following:
    • I will be working on your Malware issues, this may or may not, solve other issues you have with your machine.
    • The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for the issues on this machine.
    • Please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine appears to be clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.
    • It's often worth reading through these instructions and printing them for ease of reference.
    • If you don't know or understand something, please don't hesitate to say or ask!! It's better to be sure and safe than sorry.
    • Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.

Please be adviced, as I am still in training, all my replies to you will be checked for accuracy by one of our experts to ensure that I am giving you the best possible advise, this will be a team effort.
    This may cause a delay, but I will do my best to keep it as short as possible. Please bear with me, I will post back to you as soon as I can.

IMPORTANT NOTE : Please do not delete, download or install anything unless instructed to do so.
    DO NOT use any TOOLS such as Combofix or HijackThis fixes without supervision. Doing so could make your system inoperable and could require a full reinstall of your Operating System and losing all your programs and data.

Vista and Windows 7 users:

These tools MUST be run from the executable. (.exe) every time you run them
    with Admin Rights (Right click, choose "Run as Administrator")

Stay with this topic until I give you the all clean post.

Having said that....Let's get going!!
    - Proud Graduate of WTT Classroom -

- Member of UNITE -

Hi Scotty25

Download Security Check by screen317 from here or here.
    • Save it to your Desktop.
    • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
    • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

=============================== Next =======================================

Scan with OTL
    • Download OTL to your desktop.
    • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
    • When the window appears, underneath Output at the top change it to Minimal Output.
    • Check the boxes beside LOP Check and Purity Check.
    • Under Custom Scan paste this in

netsvcs
      %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
      /md5start
      explorer.exe
      winlogon.exe
      Userinit.exe
      svchost.exe
      services.exe
      /md5stop
      %systemroot%\*. /rp /s
      %systemdrive%\$Recycle.Bin|@;true;true;true /fp
      DRIVES
      CREATERESTOREPOINT

• Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
      • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
      • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time, and post it with your next reply.
      • You may need two posts to fit them both in.

=============================== Next =======================================

Please download aswMBR.exe and save it to your desktop.
    • Double click aswMBR.exe to start the tool. (Vista/Windows 7 users - right click to run as administrator)
    • Allow it to update where necessary
    • Click Scan

• Upon completion of the scan, click Save log and save it to your desktop, and post that log in your next reply for review. Note - do NOT attempt any Fix yet.
      • You will also notice another file created on the desktop named MBR.dat. Right click that file and select Send To>Compressed (zipped) file. Attach that zipped file in your next reply as well.

On your next reply please post :
    • checkup.txt
    • OTL.txt
    • Extras.txt
    • aswMBR log

Let me know if you have any problems in performing with the steps above or any questions you may have.

Good Day!

- Member of UNITE -

Still need help ?

- Member of UNITE -