Thread: Trying to uninstall Spybot...

Default Trying to uninstall Spybot...

Hi there.

I figured this the best place to ask this, since I can't find out the answer anywhere else.
    I'm trying to uninstall Spybot as the Teatimer feature seems to be a big resource hog on my CPU, and also because I already have SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes.
    However, everytime I want to uninstall Spybot it says if I want to undo changes that I've made with Spybot not to uninstall now and use the recovery option instead.

Should I be worried that uninstalling Spybot will make any changes that I've done ruin my computer or is this just a precautionary message? Will it make it impossible to recover anything or will it undo the changes that I've made if I uninstall it?

If anyone could advise me I'd be grateful!

It's more of a precautionary message.
    It's just letting people know that if anything was removed by Spybot after a scan that they might want to keep,that (almost all) items can be restored by using recovery,and that might be a better option than uninstalling Spybot,if they wish to keep it.

By default,the backups Spybot makes are left on your computer after you uninstall,just in case anything needed to be recovered afterwards.There's an explanation here:
    Explanation: this folder contains the backup (the quarantined files) that Spybot 2 creates. If the Uninstall would remove this folder as well, this would mean that those backups would be gone. We saw it a few times that new users uninstalled Spybot 2 in panic after they have experienced a small problem, thus removing the backup that would have undone any changes.
    http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/how-to-uninstall-2/

When I looked in recovery in Spybot there was nothing there, does this mean I don't have anything to worry about anyway? Is it safe to uninstall then?

Hi Micro

you do not need to uninstall Spybot because Spybot 2.0 does not contain the Teatimer or any Live-Protection yet. If you still use the 1.6.2 you can simply install the new one over it.

The questions from spybot are about the following:

If you for example have used the Browser-Immunusation and you now uninstall Spybot without undoind the changes, the entrys which have been made during Immunusation will remain. In some cases, such entrys canot be removed after you uninstalled Spybot.
    But if you undo the changes Spybot made, maybe your System will be unsecure and accessable for Spyware but usually this dont mean you will have an not working system, as Spybot can be uninstalled without causing any problems.
    Last edited by bbnetwork; 2013-02-03 at 14:50.

If there is nothing in your recovery,then there shouldn't be anything to worry about to do with Recovery.Either nothing was removed by Spybot after you did a scan that needed to go into recovery,or any items in your recovery were purged after 30 days,if you kept the default setting of the age of recovery under Settings,if I am remembering that correctly.(I have Spybot 2.0 now,some of the settings,etc. for Spybot 1.6.2 are hard to remember now.)

Quote Originally Posted by microserfs View Post
    When I looked in recovery in Spybot there was nothing there, does this mean I don't have anything to worry about anyway? Is it safe to uninstall then?
    You dont have anything to worry, but as i sayed, you should keep in mind, if you only uninstall Spybot, some changes, which have been done from Spybot, maybe wont be undone, so for example your hostfile will still contain the entrys from immunisation.

לשונות רעות שנפגעו שלוש פעמים: למי שמדבר, שדברו עליהם ומי שמקשיב.

שלום