Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's change the name of RunAlyzer !!!

Default Let's change the name of RunAlyzer !!!

Hi there,

I would like to appeal to the whole society of RunAlyzer initial authors, developers and end users:

Let's arrange a show of hands !!

The name of the program is annoying as extremely incorrect. I understand that it was most probably a funny joke at the beginning, when the project developers were young and RunAlyzer was an infant.
    But now it is more and more the professional program; so why still joking at him ? Sorry, but - in my opinion - the name "RunAlyzer " is presently simply rubbish and not very funny.

Moreover, my internet spell-checker is protesting and crying very much - every time when I am trying to write this ugly name - RunAlyzer; and I am not going to teach "him" such improper entries.

Let's assign to the program a simple, nice and (what's the most important) professional name:

"AutoRun Expert", "AutoRun Analyst" . or

"SpyBot-AutoRun-Expert" .

Listen guys, we are not children already (and unfortunately) .
    Last edited by ajakibs; 2007-09-11 at 20:17.
    Greetings,
    Ajakibs
    ===========================
    Windows XP Pro (SP-2), Pentium 4.

Hello.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajakibs View Post

I would like to appeal to the whole society of RunAlyzer initial authors, developers and end users:
    The developer is PepiMK.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajakibs View Post
    Sorry, but - in my opinion - the name "RunAlyzer " is presently simply rubbish and not very funny.
    Interesting way to make a request.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Hi,

I have not stated that the program is rubbish - the program is GREAT !!; even in beta version.

Exclusively, what I wanted to say is that I do not like the program name "RunAlyzer". Well, RunAnalyzer would also be wrong (Brr ...).

So, please vote for change

Best Regards
    Greetings,
    Ajakibs

The name RunAlyzer was never intended to be "very funny", so it doesn't have to be actually.

Let's see, what have I got installed? Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice, EverNote, GIMP, SketchUp, IrfanView, Picasa, SeaMonkey, 7zip, Bochs, VMWare, TrueCrypt, TortoiseSVN, Skype, GnuPG ... wait, my spell checking is complaining about nearly every of these names, damn! I'm going to uninstall them right away!

But that's the point - you've got to use an individual, non-standard name to get a trademark! If you just combine a few dictionary words, the recognition value is reduced a lot.

"Autorun expert" or "Autorun analyst" are much farther away from being professional in that they have a muss lesser "marketing value", practically inviting (!) copycats, and creating confusion with users as to which software they have exactly.

For example, there was one SpyRemover and there are two SpywareRemover products. Well, that's just dictionary words - that's so professional that every standard user doesn't even know which of these he has, and the legit one could never enforce his trademark.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Hi,

I would like to answer to PepiMK and I would like to extend my answer to tashi post, as well.

PepiMK has written:
    The name RunAlyzer was never intended to be "very funny", so it doesn't have to be actually.
    Sorry for misunderstanding, I have thought that you chosen "RunAlyzer" name accidentally simply making a typo at the beginning of the project. And then, you decided that it is a good joke - so let it be uncorrected.

"Autorun expert" or "Autorun analyst" are much farther away from being professional in that they have a muss lesser "marketing value", practically inviting (!) copycats, and creating confusion with users as to which software they have exactly.

For example, there was one SpyRemover and there are two SpywareRemover products. Well, that's just dictionary words - that's so professional that every standard user doesn't even know which of these he has, and the legit one could never enforce his trademark.
    I accept and support the above reasoning but I have also proposed the name:

Spybot-AutoRun-Expert

or - if it is too long name - it could be

SB-AutoRun-Expert

written exactly as given above; i.e. using capital letter "R" for "run" and writing "AutoRun" and not "Autorun".

Thus, the problem you are writing above would be solved and the name of the program would reflect - to some extent - what this program is doing. In case of the name "RunAlyzer" the functionality of this soft is not described at all.
    In my opinion, the name of program (or any research project) should reflect - to maximal possible extent - the subject of research and the functionality of the final product. On the other hand - it should not be too long. It seems that my proposal as shown above - satisfies these both assumptions. What do you think about ?

Tashi has written:
    Originally Posted by ajakibs:
    "Sorry, but - in my opinion - the name "RunAlyzer " is presently simply rubbish and not very funny."

Interesting way to make a request.
    Dear Collegues,

After a few hours I have come to conclusion that - due to the fact that English is not my native language - I improperly used the word "rubbish" in my first Post. Thus, if some of you - developers of RunAlyzer program - have felt insulted, please, accept my sincere apologies.

I beg your pardon - I have not realized that my usage of this word "rubbish" in the shown above context could be - in some way - offensive. It seems that I simply still do not feel some English language subtleties and, thus, I used this word without a proper consideration. In other words, I did it unintentionally and it has brought a warm flush to my face .

So, sincerely hoping that we are still friends,
    My best wishes from Poland and regards to all of you !!
    Last edited by ajakibs; 2007-09-12 at 17:36.
    Greetings,
    Ajakibs

Quote Originally Posted by ajakibs
    ... In case of the name "RunAlyzer" the functionality of this soft is not described at all...
    So a combination of the English words 'run' and 'analyzer' do not describe the functionality of a system startup analyzing application?

BTW: Have you looked at the names of most of Safer Networking's applications? I think the name 'RunAlyzer' will be quite noticeable as a Safer Networking product, as it fits in quite nicely with the rest of their product line.

Nie ma za co (I'm not a native speaker myself)

Yes, the name actually started out of a typo, but well, a typo at least means the names are "nearer" to real words than total fantasy words.

Also, keep in mind that people tend to shortcut... "Spybot - Search & Destroy" is usually called just "Spybot", for example. A name like "spybot autorun expert" is very long - three words to speak out. "RunAlyzer" is something you can speak out as one word. Well, you speak a language that's very fast anyway, so you might not notice the difference that much

Also, as GT500 said, it's kind of a recognizable thing now, since many tools care that SomethingAlyzer "brand".
    though I think we're not the only ones using that combination; Javacool has created something call EULAlyzer, and there are multiple Logalyzers out there as well.

Lets see what other people will say
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Hello PepiMK

Are you so smart that -apart of you computer science knowledge - you speak also in the Polish language ? How come ?
    You have written in Polish "nie ma za co" what means "not at all" (I've translated it for other colleagues). It was a very pleasant and funny surprise for me.
    By the way - I have a rather indiscreet question to you. Do you realize that your PM box is full already and it is not possible to send to you any private message ? Or you have been "killed" by too curies and pressing RunAlyzer users; thus you decided to close this connection tool.

You have written:
    A name like "spybot autorun expert" is very long - three words to speak out.
    O.K. - but I also proposed the version: SB-AutoRun-Expert
    What do you think about it ?

I would also like to give some comment to GT500 post: namely, he has written:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajakibs
    ... In case of the name "RunAlyzer" the functionality of this soft is not described at all...

So a combination of the English words 'run' and 'analyzer' do not describe the functionality of a system startup analyzing application?
    1. First of all the "analyzer" sounds very strange for me. Well, I am not English or American - and moreover I am not the English language expert (as you can notice from my Posts ) - but the word "analyst" should be used in the shown above case. Am I right ?

2.The name "RunAlyzer" do not describe the functionality of the program as it should be "AutoRunAlyzer" in order to cover what it is doing; or writing this in another manner - it could be "AutorunAlyzer". Right ? Of course, assuming that we agree that the term "Alyzer" is O.K.

Well, as we are living in democratic countries (as I do believe) - Let's vote
    Greetings,
    Ajakibs

Quote Originally Posted by ajakibs
    2.The name "RunAlyzer" do not describe the functionality of the program as it should be "AutoRunAlyzer" in order to cover what it is doing; or writing this in another manner - it could be "AutorunAlyzer". Right ? Of course, assuming that we agree that the term "Alyzer" is O.K.
    I agree that the name 'AutoRunAlyzer' is more descriptive, but I think that it's too late in the beta process to change the name now. Many people recognise the name 'RunAlyzer', and changing that could cause too much confusion.

Now obviously those of us with blogs will comment on the name change, but not everyone reads blogs, and not everyone with a blog will know about the name change. So the end result would be a lot of people looking for updates to 'RunAlyzer', and not realizing that the name had changed.

Then you get into that grey area where rogue anti-spyware applications will often have names similar to legitimate anti-spyware tools. People will see the new name on download sites, and might assume that it is another utility posing as RunAlyzer.

Overall I believe that the confusion aspect would be too great to change the name at this point.
    Last edited by GT500; 2007-09-13 at 20:06.
    For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, and against the worldly governors, the princes of the darkness of this world...

Hi,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.

GT500 has written:
    Overall I believe that the confusion aspect would be too great to change the name at this point.
    Well, I - to a very extent - agree with this reasoning. It is in fact an important reason for leaving the RunAlyzer name unchanged .

But - on the other hand, some two years ago, Microsoft has changed the name of its MS Anti-Spyware program (I do not well remember how it was exactly called) - into Windows Defender and all was O.K. The end users rapidly accepted the new name of this.

Thus, let's wait for other people opinion on this subject.
    Greetings,
    Ajakibs