SWEETIM will be the death of me!!
I don't care what anyone says I'm convinced Sweetim is spyware. It won't go away regardless of what I do
Steps I've taken:
- Removed Sweet IM and Sweetpacks from the control panel
- I removed it as a default search, homepage and from my new tab on both firefox and internet explorer
- I removed it from the search toolbar on both firefox and internet explorer
- I've preformed full virus scans with Microsoft essentials. It found nothing
- I've preformed malware scans with Malwarebytes. Currently still in trial stage so have full coverage. It found nothing related to sweetim.
- When i turn on my labtop I get this lovely little message that pops up in the right bottom corner of my desktop from Sweetim saying something to the effect of: We noticed that you've been using the sweetim firefox toolbar. To uninstall click here. I still get this message after the virus and malware scans.
- Microsoft word is now getting error messages when I press "enter" and shut down.
- my laptop now turns off sometimes if i move around while on
- the other day it went into stand-by and wouldn't turn when I pressed the power button.
Forgive me I'm not terribly computer savy. I figure the last two issues are hardware related, my computer is almost 5 years old and is well traveled, as I'm a student constantly on the go. I need serious help!!
Please run a scan with Spybot. I recommend the protected Enviroment.
Does it find something?
Thank you for the Feedback.
Dont worry about important files, its nearly impossible to delete sytemfiles or so by mistake.
But if you deleted many temporary files i recommemd you to defrag your system now.
Oh by the way how do I run spybot in the protected environment mode?
So I ran the scan a few times and it seems that some files it won't delete. There are about 150 temporary files that pop-up right before every scan and they are the same one from before. I cleared out most of the other files and permanently deleted them from the quarantine area, but they still pop back up in the next scan. There are two SweetIM files that never go away apparently they are IE start page. I checked internet explorer but the home page is google.
Most of the other malware files were deleted and otherwise my computer is running well now and much faster.
Is there a way to get rid of those files that won't go away?
Did you run the scan with Admin-Rights?
Yes, I am the administrator of my computer, unless you mean something else by 'Admin-rights'
In Windows Vista/7/8 you need to start Software with sufficent rights.
Please rightclick the Software and select "run as Administrator".
Last edited by bbnetwork; 2013-02-22 at 08:32.
Tags for this Thread