Thread: Advice Needed On Necessity Of Deep Scan

Default Advice Needed On Necessity Of Deep Scan

Hi,

I have done a quick scan & was prompted to do a deep scan as unknown MBRs are found in PhysicalDrive1.

However, the deep scan of C Drive took an extremely long time (approx. 9 hours) so I stopped it. I then proceed to do a deep scan on the rest excluding C Drive. Attached are the scan results for your perusal.

I wonder if it's normal for the deep scan to take such a long time in scanning C Drive. As it was stopped, I did not have the results & was worried that it might be infected. Please advise on the necessity & possible time length of a deep scan on C Drive after analysis of the attached logs.

Thank you in anticipation of your reply.

Regards,
    Mummy Susan
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hello Mummy Susan,

Quote Originally Posted by Mummy Susan View Post
    I wonder if it's normal for the deep scan to take such a long time in scanning C Drive. As it was stopped, I did not have the results & was worried that it might be infected.
    That was a long time for a scan but the logs don't show anything remiss, how is the computer running, any issues?

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Hi Tashi,

Thank you for your reply. Should I be concerned about the "unknown MBRs : PhysicalDrive1" reflected in the Quick Scan ? As the Deep Scan was not completed, I still feel apprehensive about the Quick Scan results.

Actually my computer was running fine till about 2 weeks ago when my son used it for some school project. According to him, the computer hangs frequently so he pressed the 'Power' button to shut it down and on it again. This process was done repeatedly for 2 consecutive days. Then, the computer will not boot up again after he tried doing the same thing on the 3rd day of using my computer.

About 2 weeks later, my husband told me to try and on the computer before deciding to send it for repair. Miraculously, my computer is resurrected. For security reasons, I run various types of anti-malware on my computer, e.g. aswMBR, TDSSKiller etc. All feedback clean results except said ambiguous Spybot Quick Scan Results.

Appreciate your time in helping me with the mystery of my resurrected computer.

Best regards,
    Mummy Susan

Hello Mummy Susan,

The result of a deep scan may have shown more but unknown MBRs do not necessarily mean there is a problem.

Actually my computer was running fine till about 2 weeks ago when my son used it for some school project. According to him, the computer hangs frequently so he pressed the 'Power' button to shut it down and on it again. This process was done repeatedly for 2 consecutive days. Then, the computer will not boot up again after he tried doing the same thing on the 3rd day of using my computer.
    Was he using a USB memory stick to transfer his project files by any chance.

I run various types of anti-malware on my computer, e.g. aswMBR, TDSSKiller etc.
    What was the result of the aswMBR scan, do you have the log, and which other tools did you use when you say 'etc"?

Best regards.

Hi Tashi,

Apologies for my late response as my computer went dead again on Thursday morning till now. I had installed a new program & was prompted to restart to complete the installation. The computer was then shut down but did not manage to boot up again, giving out 1 long 3 short beeps.

Today, the friend whom helped me to buy this computer came over to take a look. I was thinking of showing him the error beeping codes but the computer boots up again ! My friend helped me to replace the CMOS battery and reseat the RAM. Hopefully, this will put an end to the issue.

Back to your queries ~ Yes, my son was using a USB Memory Stick for his project. I have run scans with Ad-Aware, aswMBR, F-Secure BlackLight, Malwarebytes, Microsoft Security Essentials, Spybot & TDSSKiller. Except Spybot, all rated my computer clean from malware. I have deleted the aswMBR log as it shows that my computer is not infected.

Thank you for your time and attention !

Best regards,
    Mummy Susan

Hi Mummy Susan,

Sounds like quite an adventure.
    Today, the friend whom helped me to buy this computer came over to take a look. I was thinking of showing him the error beeping codes but the computer boots up again ! My friend helped me to replace the CMOS battery and reseat the RAM. Hopefully, this will put an end to the issue.
    Good luck!