Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Infected? I'm kinda clueless here.

I would like to note that for some reason, disabling active x filtering allowed me to view videos with adobe flash on youtube, for some reason. Though I know I can't leave active x filtering disabled, I thought maybe it would provide some insight into my issues.

hi AlexaSD:

I am sorry about the java. Let's carry out some test on java.

1. Verify 32-bit or 64-bit version of IE browser.
    Follow these steps to verify whether you are using 32-bit or 64-bit browser.
    1. Launch Internet Explorer browser.
    2. Click on the Help tab at the top.
    3. Select About Internet Explorer which will bring up an information window.
    4. If version of IE displays 64-bit Edition, then it is 64-bit IE... otherwise it's 32-bit browser.

Tell me the version of your IE, 32 bit or 64 bit.

2. Verify if Java is working on your computer by going to : Verify Java is working on your machine
    If the "test" comes back with information about your system, then Java is working... if not a message will appear indicating no working Java is installed.
    Tell me whether the java is working or not.

3. Did you mean by disabling active x filtering in IE and firefox make the video working?

sorry,
    torreattack
    Graduate of Malware Removal University, - You too could train to help others

1) 32 bit internet explorer

Verify if Java is working on your computer by going to : Verify Java is working on your machine
    2) That is the website I have been using. It says there is "no java installed on my system."

3) When I go to youtube to look at a video, most say I have to have Flash player installed (but I already do). I went to Adobe official troubleshooting website, and adobe suggests turning off active x filter. I did, and was then able to watch those videos on youtube. But I can't leave active x filtering off, isnt that bad?

Hi AlexaSD :

Regarding the activeX filter:
    http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/br...ing/About.html

I am not recommend to off the filter, some bad website use it to attack. However, if you trust the site that you are going to visit, you may temporary turn it off.

1. Please uninstall the java that we just installed.

2. Re-download Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE).
    Please download from HERE
    • Find Java SE 7u17, (JRE) Java SE 7.
    • Click the Download JRE button to the right.
    • check the box that says Accept License Agreement. Next, click the correct Product / File Description (in your case the jre-7u17-windows-i586.exe).
    • Save the file to your desktop.
    • Close all active windows.
    • Install the program.
    • Note: remember to Uncheck any extra software downloads you may be offered (optional)

3. Try to detect the flashplayer that you are needed here: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
    When finish download it, if possible, try to install it by right click on it and choose "run as administrator" to install it.
    Note: remember to Uncheck any extra software downloads you may be offered (optional)

4. Try again with the Secunia Software Inspector or F-secure Health Check. If needed, temporary disable your activeX filter.
    Secunia Software Inspector
    F-secure Health Check

thanks,
    torreattack

I am running the secunia scan now but I have to go to work soon. I just wanted to say that java and flash player will only work if active x filtering is off. That wasn't true a year ago. If its not a virus that is causing this, then can you recommend a forum where I can get help with this issue?

Also, ESET or MBAM (I forgot which) came back with an "ask toolbar" threat in my previous post. Do I need to get rid of that somehow?

Hi AlexaSD :

Don't worry about the ASKtoolbar, it wasn't active. You can delete this file: C:\Users\Alexa\Downloads\SetupImgBurn_2.5.2.0.exe.

Regarding the java and flash problem, let's see what secunia found. Update your system especially the display driver. You may also get your display driver here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/945765

if everything fail, i would forward you to other expert.

thanks,
    torreattack

Secunia told me I needed several windows updates, and IE update to 10. I did those, and am still having the same problem with java and flash player. I rechecked with secunia, and still had to disable active x filter before I could perform the scan, same with the other website you recommended. the scan showed no more insecure programs.

I did figure out why my pc wouldn't go to standby, the mouse was keeping it awake! So that issue is solved. I just stopped the mouse from being able to wake the pc, and now standby happens like normal. Yay!

Hi AlexaSD:

Glad to hear you standby problem solved. Only one left to deal with.

I do some searches and asking around these few days, I hope this few suggestion might help.

1. Go to this page, http://forums.adobe.com/thread/945765
    find you display lastest driver, download it, then uninstall the old one and install the new one.

IF the problem did not solve, let's try to uninstall flashplayer.

1. Go to this page, http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/...r-windows.html
    Uninstall the flashplayer as instructed.

2. Go to this page, http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/...sh-player.html
    Check the latest version of flashplayer according to your system, if needed, update it.

3. If problem still appear, let's try this: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/...-video-or.html
    follow the instruction but let's skip the step 2 : Disable ActiveX Filtering (if you are using Internet Explorer 9)

If problem still exist, let's try to reset IE.
    Go to Internet options, advanced, reset, tick Delete Personal Setting, reset.

Let's me know if that helpful.
    torreattack

I have found something that did the trick...completely. Here it is for your reference. I did these steps, and it solved the problems!!!
    http://www.ghacks.net/2011/02/16/internet-explorer-9-activex-filtering-fix-flash-java-and-other-plugins/

Unless there are any further infections on my system, I guess that's it! Is there anything else we need to do?

Hi AlexaSD :

Thanks for the info and having great patience.

I personally don't like to add any website into TRUSTZONE. The policy of those website might change anytime without our notice. Any content, script or activeX will be allow to run automatically.

The page you refer to are add the website to TrustZone, then disable the activeX Filter. There are not different from what you did before. However, it is YOUR choice.

================================================================================

This is my general post for when your logs show no more signs of malware.

Congratulations... your computer now appears to be malware free!
    Please follow these simple guidelines in order to help keep your computer more secure:

Time for some housekeeping

1. Flush Restore Point
    Please make sure OTL.exe is on your Desktop.
    Important! Close all applications and windows so that you have nothing open and are at your Desktop
    • Right click on OTL.exe select "Run As Administrator" to run it. If prompted by UAC, please allow it.
    • Copy the following text... do not include the quote box title "Quote'
      :Files
      C:\Users\Alexa\Downloads\SetupImgBurn_2.5.2.0.exe

:Commands
      [EmptyTemp]
      [ClearAllRestorePoints]
    • Click under the Custom Scan/Fixes box and paste the copied text.
    • Click the Run Fix button. If prompted... click OK.
    • When the scan completes, Notepad will open with the scan results.
    • Just close the notepad and do not need to post the contents of report.

2. Clean up with OTL
    • Right-click OTL.exe And select " Run as administrator " to run it. If Windows UAC prompts you, please allow it.
    • This tool will remove all the tools we used to clean your pc.
    • Close all other programs apart from OTL as this step will require a reboot
    • On the OTL main screen, press the CleanUp! button
    • Say Yes to the prompt and then allow the program to reboot your computer.

3. You can now delete any tools we used if they remain on your Desktop.

Protection Programs
    Don't forget to re-enable any protection programs we disabled during your fix.

Update your Antivirus programs and other programs regularly.

Visit Microsoft often.
    Keep on top of critical updates , as well as other updates for your computer.
    What is Windows Update?
    Microsoft Update Home

Install additional (free) programs, that can help improve security.
    Many feel that having a "layered" protection scheme is beneficial, you'll have to decide what works best for your situation.
    Here are a few you can look into, if you want.

WinPatrol
    Do not install if you have installed Spybot Search & Destroy and enabled Teatimer protection. System conflicts can occur.
    Download it from BillP Studios
    Information about how WinPatrol works, is available Here
    (The free version of WinPatrol... provides limited real-time protection)

Read - stay informed.
    To help minimize the chances of becoming re-infected, please read.
    Computer Security - a short guide to staying safer online

If your computer is running slowly after your clean up, please read.
    What to do if your Computer is running slowly

I would be grateful if you could reply to this post so that I know you have read it and, if you've no other questions, the thread can be closed.

Happy surfing!

torreattack