Thread: Uninstall question.

Default Uninstall question.

I have read this http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/27.html
    about how to uninstall if necessary. I am a little confused on the use of "this very small fix" that you down load to remove registry entries. Is that only necessary for a manual uninstall or is it necessary also if the uninstall is successful from control panel-> add/remove programs? The way it is presented it looks to me like it's only necessary if you cannot remove Spybot via add/remove programs and need to go into the files and do it manually. If the uninstall is successful from add/remove programs does that also remove the registry entries? Thank you

The way I always took it was,was that you could use those instructions if you had problems removing Spybot from add/remove programs,or follow them if you prefer to clean up alot.I follow them when uninstalling because I'm a bit of a neatfreak,so I like to remove the Spybot folder,and use the 'very small fix' to clean up any leftover registry entries,but you could also just uninstall it from add/remove programs if that's what you prefer,which is,I believe,what most people do.
    I believe that an sucessful uninstall from add/remove programs removes most of the registry entries,though I think there may be one or two left behind,but I cannot remember for sure.

Default Uninstall Page On Spybot S&D

Not sure if this question is in the same vein as Anthony J. If not, please advise via PM. The Uninstall Page on Spybot S&D: Is this for the user to uninstall the listings there? I do not understand what the information is there for. Some of the items listed have no extra information when I click on them. Then again, other entries have all kinds of information. Would you please tell me if and what I should do....or, not do. Thank you. Tarheel

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Tarheel:

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    Not sure if this question is in the same vein as Anthony J.
    Anthony A was talking about this reference:

I believe that you may be talking about the "Uninstall info" page that you get when you go into Spybot-S&D > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > and then click "Uninstall info".

If that is correct, did you read the following?
    1. The information from the "Show more information" at the top of that page:

This list displays all applications that have registered some kind of Uninstaller with your system. It is roughly the same as the one in your Software Add Remove control panel but with some additional features.
    2. The information from the Spybot-S&D's help facility ("Uninstall info"):

Uninstall info

This tool lists all programs that have registered some kind of Uninstall information with Windows. You can use it to remove the uninstall information of no longer existing programs as well as to simply get an overview.

Entries that have changed since the last snapshot (the first snapshot is created when you started Spybot-S&D for the first time, later on you can create snapshots by right-clicking the list and selecting the corresponding menu item) are displayed in bold letters. This allows you to see changes to the list at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    Would you please tell me if and what I should do....or, not do.
    From Spybot-S&D's help facility:

… You can use it to remove the uninstall information of no longer existing programs as well as to simply get an overview. …
    Or if you don't understand the function or the entries, I suggest that you leave well enough alone and remember the warning message that was issued when you went into Spybot-S&D > Advanced mode:

Warning

The advanced mode of Spybot-S&D offers more options than the default mode; but those also include some that can do harm to your system if you are not sure what you are doing. Do you really want to switch to advanced mode?

[Yes] [No]
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2006-08-23 at 21:37.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thumbs up Uninstall Page on Spybot S&D

MD USA Spybot, thank you for answering my question and the reminder about the caveat in the program. You're correct, maybe I should leave well enough alone as I cannot recall if I installed something, or if it was already in the packaged program that came with the computer. Part of my problem is that I do not know the definitions of some of the acronyms. Another part of of my problem is I'm an auditory learner and visually challenged, and it's difficult to comprehend and assimilate text, yet I refuse to give up. I still haven't earned my Masters Degree, but I'm working on it; I'm on the shy side of 60! Many thanks for taking time to help me, I appreciate it very much. Tarheel

P.S. I'm having some troubles with my email. If you have anything more to add, please send a Private Message (PM).