Thread: How do I stop spybot from running on startup?

Default How do I stop spybot from running on startup?

I recently upgraded spybot when I upgraded from WinXP to Win7. It installed fine and runs with no problems, but I can not for the life of me figure out how to stop it from running every time I boot up my computer. I don't want it to actively help me, and I don't want it to be interlaced with all of my programs. I run three different anti-malware programs and if I gave them all as much control as spybot seems to want, my context menus would be 30 items long and I would have three different beasts trying to eat away memory and cpu. I want a program that runs a malware check when I tell it to and nothing else. If I can't stop spybot from autostarting then I would much rather delete it completely than deal with this. I looked in settings in the start center but there was nothing about turning off autostart. Does anybody know how to prevent spybot from turning on when I start my computer? You won't just be helping me out, you'll be helping spybot stay on one more computer.

There should be an option in "Settings".

If not, follow these steps:

First, type 'msconfig' or 'msconfig.exe' in "Run". Msconfig should open. Now click "Startup", find Spybot and uncheck it.
    Last edited by imageek; 2013-02-24 at 23:06.

Thank you so much for that msconfig suggestion. That is helpful beyond just spybot.

You're welcome!