Thread: The great 'No cookie list' mystery continues apace.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unhappy The great 'No cookie list' mystery continues apace.

I paid for the full version of Spybot 2 Home Edition on 16 January 2013. I'd not had Spybot installed for the previous several months and began to miss it! Lo and behold, I was unable to find the list of cookies; consequently, all my log-in cookies for other Web sites vanished. Come to find out, there is no cookies-list function in Spybot 2.

Not finding a relevant explanation here for this no-cookies-list phenomenon, I uninstalled Spybot 2 Home Edition and installed Spybot - Search & Destroy Version 1.6.2.0 System settings protector 1.6.6.32 in its place. Sure enough, there was a cookies list! But ... it was blank; and it remains blank as of this writing.

Can anyone explain this scenario to me? Why are cookie lists suppressed? Is it Spybot's doing, or is there something external to Spybot which is causing this? Your helpful suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Beauty is the purgation of superfluities. - Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni

Your login (and other) cookies may have vanished when you were using Spybot 2.0 if you fixed tracks after a Spybot scan,and cookies were checkmarked.
    http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/usage-tracks/

To verify we're on the same page,it is the Ignore Cookies list that is blank in Spybot 1.6.2?
    Could you let me know which operating system you're using?
    And also which browsers you're using?

Smile Yay! Help has arrived!

Yes, Zenobia, it is the "Ignore Cookies" list in the Spybot - Search & Destroy Version 1.6.2.0 System which is blank. My operating system is Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600. My default browser is Mozilla Firefox 19.0 and on infrequent occasions I use Microsoft Windows Internet Explorer 8 Version 8.0.6001.18702.

Thank you for coming to my rescue! Your further efforts to enlighten me will be greatly appreciated. I'm quite anxious to see a working "Ignore Cookies" page in Version 1.6.2.0 rather than a blank one. Also, is there in fact no such list whatsoever in the Spybot 2 Home Edition; or is it merely a matter of my not having been able to find it?

Beauty is the purgation of superfluities. - Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni

No,there is no ignore cookies list in Spybot 2.0 that I'm aware of,you weren't missing it.
    There is a ignore list in Spybot 2.0 where you can choose to ignore "Cookies" in general,or you can ignore a tracking cookie on the ignore list if you search for it by name,but you cannot ignore individual non-tracking cookies like you could in Spybot 1.6.2,from the looks of things.

I've looked through the forum and found where there were a few times in the past that Firefox cookies were not shown on the Ignore Cookies list,but I've been unable to find anything where both Internet Explorer cookies and Firefox cookies did not show in there.
    Since you use Internet Explorer infrequently,can you remember if you have used it since downloading Spybot 1.6.2?
    Also,since downloading Spybot 1.6.2,did you do a scan?And were there any items listed in green after the scan?

Smile Well, let's see....

Zenobia, from a mental-health standpoint I'm glad to learn there isn't an "Ignore Cookies" page in Spybot 2; but, on the other hand, I wish there was. My next project will involve trying to get my money back.

I can't recall whether or not I've used Internet Explorer 8 since installing Spybot 1.6.2.0; but I have run a scan since installation and yes, there were some items listed in green--and red--on the problems page afterwards. I ran a scan again today; and some green items showed up, but thankfully nothing in red.

But, lo and behold, a lone Internet Explorer 8 cookie appeared on the "Ignore Cookies" page! Unfortunately, that page was bereft of any Firefox 19.0 cookies. At this point I remain bamboozled.

As it happens, I've not been prompt in responding to your posts because I've not received any electronic-mail notifications of replies. All the right boxes are checked, yet nothing notification-wise has so much as reached my Internet service provider: I'm using MailWasher Pro, which shows everything that's on the server and doesn't block anything unless I tell it to do so.

Zenobia, from a mental-health standpoint I'm glad to learn there isn't an "Ignore Cookies" page in Spybot 2; but, on the other hand, I wish there was. My next project will involve trying to get my money back.
    This is in no way an official reply,and please don't take it as such,but under the order form for Spybot Home Edition,there is a terms and conditions page that does state no refunds for downloaded software.
    http://www.safer-networking.org/terms-and-conditions/

If you also have a spam folder in your email,you could check to be sure your thread notifications aren't going in there.
    At the top of this post where it says Thread Tools,you can click that to be sure that you're subscribed,and when you are replying to a post,if you look below your post you should see Thread Subscription with a pulldown menu for notification type.If you wanted Instant Notification,you could select that.
    Also,in your User CP for the forum,if you click Edit Options and scroll down,there is a section called Default Thread Subscription Mode:
    When you post a new thread, or reply to a topic, you can choose to automatically add that thread to your list of subscribed threads, with the option to receive email notification of new replies to that thread.
    Default Thread Subscription Mode:
    I have mine set to Instant since I'm here a lot,if you think you'd like yours that way you could try that,also.

I think I remember that there have been a few times in the past when the latest versions of firefox were installed that the cookies weren't visible in the ignore cookies list,but I haven't found anything on the forum to support that,and I have no idea if that's the case with the current version of Firefox,19.0.2.

http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/usage-tracks/
    When you run a scan with spybot and fix the green items,one of the usage tracks found are Firefox cookies.That would remove them from appearing on your ignore cookies list,but a cookie or two should reappear once you open firefox again.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...599#post350599
    A couple of years ago,when somebody couldn't see firefox cookies in their ignore cookies list,another member told them to close firefox first before opening Ignore Cookies,and then they could see them.I think I had a beta version of Spybot at the time without an Ignore cookies list,so I couldn't check if that worked for myself,but if you have had firefox open when looking at your ignore cookies list,try closing it and see if they're visible.