Thread: Probably just another "#$@#" newbi-rookie question...but

Default Probably just another "#$@#" newbi-rookie question...but

Hi everybody,

This might be just another danged newbi-rookie question...but I am spinning my wheels over it...

I am using Spybot2 and actually have two questions:

When I have a finished scan run I see a second window usually listing 14 items. Each item is selected. If I highlight any one of them I'll get a details pane.

1) The location tab will say: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Direct3D\MostRecentApplication\Name(is not)
    What is this (is Not) about?

2) If I simply select "Fix Selected" Spybot does something... the check boxes are unchecked and I'll see a little green checkmark and green lettering but everything else remains the same.
    Has SpyBot done anything? It seems if I run another scan I'll see another 14 items.

Many thanks,
    -Paul-

This one is a little hard to explain,or I find it so.I know what Spybot is up to when I see it,but to say it in plain language is a bit muddling.
    It is under the tracks category:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/usage-tracks/
    1) The location tab will say: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Direct3D\MostRecentApplication\Name(is not)
    What is this (is Not) about?
    This tracks detection is the most recent application to use Direct3D.If you followed the path Spybot listed in the registry,it would take you to MostRecentApplication underneath Direct3D,and in the pane over to the right,you would see Name listed,and under data,the last application to use Direct3D would be listed.
    In this case,Spybot wants to remove the application listed under Value Data and make it blank,since it is clearing tracks.That is why Name(is not) is shown.
    At one time,"!=" was used,meaning not equal,which was later removed to avoid confusion:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=18705
    After the above discussion,it looks like (is not) was decided upon.
    http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=103

It's normal for the checkboxes to be unchecked after pressing Fix Selected,and the little green checkmarks are to indicate the items found were fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by jPaulB
    When I have a finished scan run I see a second window usually listing 14 items.

Has SpyBot done anything? It seems if I run another scan I'll see another 14 items.
    Do you mean that you run a scan with Spybot,and then go off and use your computer,and the next time you run a scan with Spybot 14 items are found once again?Or do you mean that you fix the 14 problems,and then do another scan with Spybot right away?

In addition to the above, in Vista, Win 7 and Win 8 you need to perform the Fix with Administrator-Rights. Also you should restart your Computer once the fixing is done, because sometimes some parts will be removed after the restart only, when they are not active.

לשונות רעות שנפגעו שלוש פעמים: למי שמדבר, שדברו עליהם ומי שמקשיב.

שלום