Thread: Just curious if this is normal.

Default Just curious if this is normal.

Okay I am working on someones computer "again" and Spybot Search & Destroy 1.6 was already installed where I installed it the last time I worked on the computer. When I went to update the files the program ran it's little start up screen but instead of launching into the program it begins to do the run Spybot on start up scan. Even after I downloaded all the new definitions the program is still displaying this behavior. I had to go into the Programs Files folder in windows and create a shortcut, the file I created a shortcut from was SDMain.exe, maybe this isn't the right .EXE ?

I'm at a loss as my copy of Spybot S&D has only run this type of scan on startup only after I have told the program to initiate the scan on startup.

Hello,

I'm sorry, but I find your post a little bit confusing.
    So what you are trying to do now is to stop the automatic scan that you did set up yourself on Spybot-S&D 1.6.2 - is this correct?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

The program is running a scan before it loads to the main menu where you can scan, immunize, check for updates, etc. I have never seen the Spybot do this unless I tell it to scan on start up but this is happening when I click on the desktop shortcut to SDMain.exe.

Hello,

Open Spybot in the advanced mode via the menu item mode, go to 'tools'->'System Startup'
    Then mark the following entry and remove it: C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /autocheck

If this does not help maybe this is due to the message during the scan "It is recommended that you reboot and scan again to find items that may be uncovered only after a reboot."

Please download a new SpybotSD.exe file here.

Also download a new advcheck.dll here.

Move those two files: SpybotSD.exe and advcheck.dll to your program installation folder, and accept to replace the old ones.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot