Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: System Scan won't scan.

Default System won't scan

I did updates .then tried to run a full scan,when I clicked on the scan icon nothing happens .The screen that should come up is visible in the task bar but when I I make it full size it's just a black box

Is it just a plain black box,or does it have a little white cursor or anything in it?

Try starting your computer in safe mode,then opening the Spybot scan.Is it still the same?
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...mode/#windows7

And which version and edition of Spybot do you have?The reason I ask is so I know the best way to go about it if it looks like uninstalling and reinstalling Spybot later on looks like a good option to try.

Default System won't scan

Hi
    I am running Spybot 2 on windows 7 64 bit with AVG free and privatefirewall 7.
    i just tried to do a scan in safe mode with the same result .It appears several users are having the same or similar problems.
    snowy12

You could try uninstalling Spybot from add/remove programs.
    After rebooting,if you see the Spybot folder still there when you look in C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2,try rightclicking and deleting it.
    Redownload and reinstall,to see if the scan will run:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/dl/
    Last edited by Zenobia; 2014-01-22 at 17:47.

The firewall you mentioned,it's this one?
    http://www.privacyware.com/personal_firewall.html
    In the directions,I see it detects and blocks malware.
    http://www.privacyware.com/personal_firewall_2.html
    Malware: Virus, Spware, Trojan and Worm Defense ―
    Viruses, Spyware, Trojans and Worms are all forms of malware that replicate, spread, steal personal information, and inflict damage to computers. Privatefirewall detects activity characteristic of malware infection such as attempts to access protected file objects, execution of WinAPI functions, and initiation of unknown processes, among others. Once detected, Privatefirewall blocks the malware and alerts you of the security incident.
    I see it alerts you,though.If it does block and alert,do you know if it blocks and alerts the next time it encounters what it blocked?

It appears several users are having the same or similar problems.
    I looked for people mentioning similar problems,but didn't find it.If it's posted online in an open,non-private place,could I get a link to it?It might not tell me anything,but I could look and see if there are any similarities with those posting,such as they all use a certain program,or the system scan stopped working when they updated,or anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptath View Post
    My System Scan is not working either, from both the Start Center and the executable file itself in the Spybot folder.
    All the commands are italicised as if it were running, but none of the menu commands can be used.

Anyone know what's going on here?
    For whatever reason, this seemed to work (running Windows 10). Started in Safe Mode. Started SDScan.exe from Windows Explorer - no good, all System Scan options greyed and italicised. Tried to checked if anything at all worked by starting SDSysRepair.exe from Windows Explorer (think I had to be elevated to Administrator privileges). Inconsistency Check was available as an option, so ran it. Inconsistency Check found multiple broken entries. Thought it was a good idea to select them all and delete. I don't know what I was doing, or why I was doing it...but I had got to a point where I was about to unplug the computer and take it to a repair shop.

Checked SDScan.exe again. 'Start a Scan' option now working. Hmmm, not sure if I have caused more bad than good, but happier now.

I too have been effected by this.

But I found that the SDScan.exe had been replaced with a non-functioning one of the same name.

After I dug through the Spybot - Search & Destory 2 folder.
    I came across a program that should not of been there, explorer.exe.

I right clicked on it, and looked at the properties.
    I found that it was really the SDScan.exe.
    I deleted the Fake SDScan.exe, then renamed explorer.exe, back too SDScan.exe.

Now my System Scan is working again.

But I've done multiple scans using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, SuperAntiSpyware, and my Zone Alarm Virus\Malware Scan.
    All have come up with zilch.

This is worrisome.

Default manually update then I could start scan

Was freezing on automatic update,,, so was suspecting virus/malware hijack
    was able to manually update
    search for direct-update-link where you can reach the latest update everytime.
    Please use the Spybot 2 program folder as Destination Folder to store the update, by default:
    Windows XP: C:\Program Files\Spybot – Search & Destroy 2
    Windows Vista or Windows 7 or Windows 8: C:\Programs (x86)\Spybot – Search & Destroy 2

Default I am also having this same issue

I just downloaded the program, tried to run the program but all items under "system scan" - start a scan / pause scan / stop scan / Fix selected / Save Scan Log are all italicized and greyed out. I tried restarting my computer a couple more times and reading through the forum for any helpful info, but wasn't able to find any. Was anyone able to fix this issue?

Thank you!

That can happen if you need to download the updates. Please see here:
    https://www.safer-networking.org/faq...ton-greyed-out
    Please let me know if that works.