Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Computer locked with a FBI warning, cant use it at all

Security Expert-Emeritus Dakeyras's Avatar

Hi.

I went to reinstall the Yahoo! Toolbar but it was blocked. It said the one that was installed was the updated version. Should I just leave it alone or will it cause more problems.
    Aye leave it for the time being please...

However do check for myself if there is anything absolutely Yahoo related in either of the Program Files or Program Files (x86) folders. In the event their is, double-click on the respective folder and check if anything is present inside etc.

Also check again if either Yahoo! Software Update or Yahoo! Toolbar are still present in Programs and Features.

When I did the downloads they did not go to the desktop, they went to the downloads folder. I sent them to the desktop from there. I have ran all of them except one "Evernote4". When I clicked to update Evernote4 from the desktop icon I received a message saying "Setup error, The installer was unable to uninstall a previous version of Evernote4 from your computer. Please uninstall Evernote4 manually then restart the installer from this location: C:Users\Shermqn Cooper\Downloads\Evernote4_4.6.4.8136.exe.
    Just thought I would check with you before I did it.
    Aye that is fine so is what you enquired about etc.

You also said to delete the installers am I right to assume that I will need to delete them from the downloads folder as well as the desktop icons?..Many, many thanks again for all of your help.
    Correct, as in once finished with the installers go ahead and delete them and you're welcome!
    Last edited by Dakeyras; 2013-04-12 at 21:29.
    Mammuthus Hibernian Scouserus, member of ASAP and UNITE.

Yahoo! Toolbar:
    There's nothing in either Program Files or Program Files (x86) folders.
    When I checked Programs and Features it said an error occurred trying to uninstall Yahoo! Toolbar. It may have already been uninstalled. Would you like to remove Yahoo! Toolbar from Programs and Features. I clicked yes.

Evernote4 updated correctly. I have no idea what it is for but its not my computer.

I have deleted the installers...

Hi.

Yahoo! Toolbar:
    There's nothing in either Program Files or Program Files (x86) folders.
    When I checked Programs and Features it said an error occurred trying to uninstall Yahoo! Toolbar. It may have already been uninstalled. Would you like to remove Yahoo! Toolbar from Programs and Features. I clicked yes.
    Good, that's sorted then.

Evernote4 updated correctly. I have no idea what it is for but its not my computer.
    Basically it is like a Filofax for a computer, it may be used in this instance to save information about games since your friends son appears to be a online gamer. This is just a guess what it may actually be used for as you would have to ask the lad himself.

I have deleted the installers...

Acknowledged...

Congratulations the computer appears to be malware free!

Clean up with OTL:

• Right-click OTL and select Run as Administrator to start the program.
    • Close all other programs apart from OTL as this step will require a reboot.
    • On the OTL main screen, depress the CleanUp button.
    • Say Yes to the prompt and then allow the program to reboot your computer.

The above process should clean up and remove the vast majority of scanners used and logs created etc.

Any left over merely delete yourself and empty the Recycle Bin.

Reset the System Restore points:

Create a new, clean System Restore point:-
    • Right click on Computer and select Properties >> System protection >> Create.
    • Give this restore point a descriptive name and click Create.
    • When the new restore point is created click on OK >> close the System Properties window.
    Note: Do not clear infected/old System Restore points before creating a new System Restore point first!

Flush Old System Restore points:-
    • Next click Start(Windows 7 Orb) >> Run (or the Windows key and R together) to bring up the Run box and and copy and paste in:
      Code:
      cleanmgr
    • in the box and press OK.
    • Select the system drive, C >> OK.
    • Ensure the boxes for Recycle Bin, Temporary Files and Temporary Internet Files are checked, you can choose to check other boxes if you wish but they are not required.
    • Click on Clean up system files >> Select the system drive, C >> OK.
    • Now click on the More Options tab.
    • Under:-
    System Restore and Shadow Copies
    • Click on Clean up... >> Delete >> OK >> Delete Files.

Next:

Be a good idea to bookmark this topic on the computer we have been working on and show it your friends son etc.

Any questions? Feel free to ask, if not stay safe!

Thumbs up Yay!!!!!!!

Thank you so very, very much..I know this will be one very happy young man. None of us can afford the cost of going to a so call pro, they dont always complete the job anyway. I have be coming here for a few years and I know you all are the best and will do whatever it takes to help. You do this because you want too and that is what makes you so very special.
    The young man has been without this computer for awhile, I know he will be over joyed.
    I thank you again and I will be sure to show him this thread so that he can see all the trouble you went through to get it going.
    Are there any other things I should do at this point?.. If not, be blessed and you are "AWESOME!!!"

You're most welcome/thank you for the compliment...

No further action/advice is required on my behalf per-say and your good to go so to speak, give the computer back to the lad etc.

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad I could help.

Note: If it has been four days or more since your last post, and the helper assisting you posted a response to that post to which you did not reply, your topic will not be reopened. At that point, if you still require help, please start a new topic and include a fresh set of DDS logs and a link to your previous thread.

If it has been less than four days since your last response and you need the thread re-opened, please send me or your helper a private message (pm). A valid, working link to the closed topic is required.