Thread: Hopefully stupid question

Default Hopefully stupid question

I am really hoping I've missed something obvious and somebody here can go "oh it's THAT, fool"....

I've used Spybot for years and never had a problem at all. Today I put the newest free version for home users on my Windows 7-running laptop. I ran a scan, it seemed fine (the only things put up for deletion were cookies - all listed Level 5). Except that as soon as I'd done that, my internet browser - I use the latest version of Opera - suddenly went weird, requiring me to authorise every website I go to and not showing me pictures. One journal site I go to won't load the individual post pages in anything approaching a sensible manner and won't show comments. It looks like it must have done something to the 'security' settings, but nothing I can see or change in Opera seems to be helping. It's really weird. Any suggestions?

It might very well be something easy,but I haven't used Opera in years,so nope,don't know exactly what happened off-hand.
    For the images,I found this,you could check to see if it's set to show images:
    http://help.opera.com/Windows/12.10/en/images.html

After your first scan with Spybot,were you prompted with the choice to disable third-party cookies?
    And could you give me the specific message you get when being prompted to authorize webpages?(It might help me search.)
    I have no idea how Spybot sets Opera third-party cookie handling,not having Opera.I'd assume it would be "Accept cookies only from the websites I visit".However,I do see that there is an option in Opera to "Ask me before accepting cookies.",if the page I found is current:
    http://browser.ezinemark.com/effecti...82e281a85.html
    Does the prompt to authorize the webpages mention cookies at all?

Thankyou so much for replying! I think maybe it IS the security settings in Opera - possibly it just needed rebooting before those took effect, or something, because it doesn't seem to be doing it now. (Of course! If there is someone around to help, technology will immediately stop doing the weird thing that was causing the problem.)

Well,that was easy.
    Glad it's better now.