Thread: Spybot 2 removes passwords

Default Spybot 2 removes passwords

I am using the latest Spybot 2.
    But everytime it scans it removes many of the passwords on he various web sites I use.
    Is there any way of quarantining the scans so the passwords are not removed?

I would appreciate any advice.

Please email me if you have a solution:

Thank you.
    Last edited by tashi; 2013-04-06 at 07:39. Reason: Removed email address for your protection against spammers

Spybot scans for usage tracks:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/usage-tracks/
    This includes scanning for cookies.When you press Fix Selected and the cookies are removed,this may account for the passwords you use on various websites being removed,and you having to sign in again.

You could either stop scanning for usage tracks altogether:
    Open Spybot Start Center,place a checkmark in Advanced User Mode,click Settings(if you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7,say yes to the prompt from User Account Control.),go to the categories tab,somewhere in the window rightclick and select Spyware scan only.

or:
    If you prefer to keep scanning for usage tracks,you could try getting Spybot to ignore Cookies instead.
    Open Spybot Start Center,place a checkmark in Advanced User Mode,click Settings(if you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7,say yes to the prompt from User Account Control.),click the Ignore List tab,click the Add...button,and in the space at the top,type in Cookie,then select Cookie below,press Ok,and after you see Cookie added to the Ignore List,press Apply and Ok.

Default Help please Zenobia

Dear Zenobia,

I am most appreciative of your advice and need more help please as I am a 70 year old inexperienced computer user.

If I use your option that says not to scan for any cookies, then does that mean the Macromedia Flash Player cookie (which has a number of 5) will also not be deleted? What does this cookie do? Is it dangerous - because it has a value of 5?

Is it possible to keep the low grade cookies of 1 but get rid of the 5?

Does all this make sense? You are speaking to an old non expert.

Thank you

Anthony

Yes,that makes perfect sense.
    If you decide to go for the second option,ignoring cookies,the category 1 cookies will be ignored,but the Adobe Flash Player cookies(Macromedia.FlashPlayer.Cookies,as well.)are in a separate category,so should still be detected by Spybot,I believe.
    Just make sure you don't choose those two when putting Cookies in the Ignore List,as they will both come up when you type in Cookie.

This is a page that explains Flash Cookies:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_shared_object
    I can only guess,of course,but flash cookies may have been put in a higher category than regular cookies due to some of these concerns:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_s...ivacy_concerns

Smile Thank You

Dear Znobia,

Thank you so very much for your help. I am most appreciative.

As a result of yourr last reply, I followed your advice with Option 2 - thank goodness you explained all the steps so clearly or I could never have done it.

I put cookies in the list as you said and then did a scan and fixed the errors. It found the Macromedia Flash Player cookie and deleted it but all the other cookies were not deleted. That meant the paswords I had saved on various sites were still there. I am the only one using my computer so I am quite happy that a lot of the info remains when I open a site.

Again, my grateful thanks.

Anthony,
    Sydney, Australia

You're welcome.

I just registered on the forums to complain about this one too lol. I would love to ask if Spybot could by default have that mode set. Reason is.. was QUITE annoying to have run it, then all of a sudden I was logged out everywhere. Which for things that use 2 step verify like google or steam. Was rather annoying. So glad I just came across this thread heh.

Glad it helped.