Thread: Malware/virus removal challenge

Exclamation Malware/virus removal challenge

I am running Windows 7 on an hp laptop.

I have some kind of virus/malware that I can't get rid of. I can't update Spybot definitions, and when I try to run Malwarebytes, I get the error "Failed to load control 'vbalGrid' from vbalsgrid6.ocx. Your version of vablsgrid6.ocx may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application."

Other things of note: I cannot download anything from the internet. No errors, just doesn't download. Nothing happens when I click the "Save" button. I cannot view my computer's properties. When I right click on "Computer" and then select "Properties," nothing happens.

I was running ZoneAlarm's free firewall and anti-virus program, but it has been disabled. When I try to launch it, I get the error message "Validation failed for C:\Program Files (x86)\Checkpoint\ZoneAlarm\VSINIT.dll.

I've always counted on Spybot and Malwarebytes to clean this kind of stuff up, but neither are working (spybot runs, but on old definitions and finds nothing).

A little help please? Thanks.

Oh, and yes I tried running both in Safe Mode to no avail. Can't download anything in Safe Mode either.

Apparently it was a corrupted registry. We tried a system restore, and everything appears to be back to normal. Odd behavior for a corrupted registry, but whatever.

Please close this thread, and thanks for all the work you do.

Thank you for letting us know.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016