Thread: snap.do and spybot 2

Default snap.do and spybot 2

I'm new on here - my daughter downloaded a dodgy program which was host to FULL-DISKFighter and snap.do toolbar.After erasing all components through the Control panel and plug-ins I found no evidence manually of the FULL-DISKFighter in the registry -following instruction from the web. It was slightly scary to be in the registry files - didn't want to make a mistake there!
    Snap.do could not be erased with spybot 1.6 as it refused to scan after start-up although I had changed the settings in the Advanced mode and clicked the yes button when prompted. Did something disable the start-up scans? I then upgraded her laptop to version 2 but after the 2nd scan snap.do still has 2 entries in the registry. How do I change to start-up scan on S&D 2, which is supposed to fix it?
    Can anyone point me to the right thread or give me straighforward advice?
    Many thanks

Hello,

Did you open Spybot with a right click and choose "run as administrator"?

Sometimes Spybot – Search & Destroy can not delete all files. Some files used by Windows are running in the background. If you would delete these files before the application they are involved in ends, your system might become instable. That is the reason why you sometimes have to restart your system to complete the cleaning process.
    In this case the SDCleaner/SDDelfile destroys the found items, before they are activated.

So make sure this option is activated.
    Enable it in the SDCleaner itself. Go to the Spybot 2 folder, by default:
    Windows XP: C:\Program Files\Spybot – Search & Destroy 2
    Windows Vista or Windows 7 or Windows 8: C:\Programs (x86)\Spybot – Search & Destroy 2
    and open the SDCleaner.exe.
    Here you can check the checkbox in front of “Run cleaner on system startup”.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Hi Sandra,
    Thanks, I've done all you said and just restarted the system but it doesn't seem to have scanned (neither did version 1.6). Windows 7 starts up after a few seconds as normal. That's why I wondered if something like snap.do can inhibit a scan at start-up? Of course on the next scan it was still there...

Hello,

Can you post your latest Checks log here?

Windows XP:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
    Windows Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8:
    C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Hi Sandra,
    I am getting the box "Create a support log archive"
    Updating logs and Screenshot are ticked, box appears "No rootkit scan logs exists" create one? , "no autostart log exists" - create one? repair logs box unchecked
    what do I do next? scan again, create all the above before or after?
    Thanks

Hello,

As you already did run a scan before it should be enough if you take a look in the logs folder as described above and search for the latest Checks.log.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot