Thread: Detected Hidden files after rootkit scan

Default Detected Hidden files after rootkit scan

I have done a Spybot rootkit scan on my laptop and, apart from a whole list of files in the deep scan system, the quickscan list notes the following hidden files:

Windows folder:
    C:\Windows\ õ@
    C:\Windows\¼ú~
    C:\Windows\äôa
    C:\Windows\˜÷8BRs:

System folder:
    C:\Windows\System32\€

Master Boot records:
    Unknown MBRs: PhysicalDrive0

Can someone tell me whether they are of any concern please?

Thanks
    Chris

I do hope someone comes up with an answer as I also ran a rootkit scan last night and I am totally bewildered by the results.
    How are ordinary mortals supposed to deal with this information. I worked in the software field for 40 years so I think I have a reasonable grasp of the subject but this is just too confusing for me.

Hello,

I would recommend to remove them.
    The Master Boot records just shows another drive besides your C drive which is nothing bad.

What about the deep scan results?

Malware sometimes uses rootkit technology to hide itself at system level.
    This makes it undetectable by standard tools. Our plugins help Spybot – Search & Destroy to detect this form of malware.
    Our Rootkit Scanner tool shows anything that uses certain rootkit technologies. But items with rootkit properties detected here are not necessarily malware. Sometimes, legit software uses rootkit technologies to hide registration data or other things it does not want the user to see in any case. So please keep in mind that the Rootkit Scanner only flags suspicious stuff, not identifying just bad stuff.

The deletion is final and can not be recovered through the Quarantine.
    If you still want to remove the found items it is strongly recommend to create a system restore point before doing that.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot