Thread: Hosts file entries and high CPU usage

Question Hosts file entries and high CPU usage

Hi!

Recently I immunized my system and now the hosts file has almost 14.000 entries. The thing is that when the computer is waking up from sleep or hibernation, the CPU sits at almost 100% of usage for one minute or more. I realised that the culprit was the dnscache service so I just figured that it had something to do with the hosts file. I replaced it with the original file (just a few entries, localhost, etc.) and now the problem is solved. It wakes up like it used to. But my computer is not as safe as before, so... How can I solve my problem? The computer is an Asus 1215B netbook with an E-450 CPU... I know it isn't fast, but anyway, I'd like to be immunized without the waiting.

Thanksssss!!!

On this page there are some workarounds listed,if you scroll down to Windows DNS Client Service:
    http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm
    This one might be your best bet,to start:
    Important! If you are using Network Discovery then the DNS Client service is required and should not be set to either Manual or Disabled.

Workaround for using the MVPS HOSTS file and leaving the DNS Client service enabled (set to: Automatic)

If you find after a period of time that your browser seems sluggish with the DNS Client service enabled you can manually flush the DNS cache
    Close all browser windows ... open a "Command Prompt" from the Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt
    Win8 users - Charms Bar > Search > (type) command prompt > Select: Command Promt (left pane) Ok the UAC prompt
    (type) ipconfig /flushdns (press Enter) Then close the Command Prompt ...