Thread: Simple question - What does PUPSC stand for?

Default Simple question - What does PUPSC stand for?

OK so I occasionally get a result of a "PUPSC" as the "threat" after a scan.

I think it's important that if abbreviations are used, then those abbreviations should always be explained (or even just mentioned!) in the Help files for the program, but in this case it isn't.
    (It's not just Spybot that fails here, I've even had it where whole menu items in professional programs are not mentioned in their own 'Help')

Anyway, so I've searched the forum here, and in several places it tells me that "PUP" = "potentially unwanted program", but everyone seems very quiet about what the "SC" may mean.

Can anyone just give the full meaning for the letters PUPSC please?

Thanks!

Hello,
    PUPS actually stands for Possibly UnPopular Software which leaves the C to be explained.
    C means current, with which we relate to the most currently occuring products of the category. This also reflects in the fact that the C sbis are always part of the update while the sbi files without C are not always part of the update, so update size is also reduced.
    born in the shadow to die in the shadow, that is the fate of the shinobi

Spybot S&D Downloads

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    Generally, a PUP (Possibly Unwanted Program) are items that are stored in the computer that is unnecessary or unwanted. It'll be up to the users choice whether to remove them or not. Some users may want to remove it because some are unnecessary toolbars (like the Ask.com toolbar) and some maybe potential spyware. [...]

EDIT: Sorry i have seen Yodamas Answer too late.
    Last edited by bbnetwork; 2013-05-22 at 14:41.

לשונות רעות שנפגעו שלוש פעמים: למי שמדבר, שדברו עליהם ומי שמקשיב.

שלום

Quote Originally Posted by Yodama View Post
    Hello,
    PUPS actually stands for Possibly UnPopular Software which leaves the C to be explained.
    C means current, with which we relate to the most currently occuring products of the category. This also reflects in the fact that the C sbis are always part of the update while the sbi files without C are not always part of the update, so update size is also reduced.
    Thanks Yodama, that seems to explain it fine.

(Loved the way you managed to sneak in another TLA - 'sbi' in your explanation though! No worries, another quick search and I found that's a file extension)