Thread: Live protection problems

Default Live protection problems

I've had to turn off live protection because I tried to run Firefox and 10 minutes later, there was a stream of live protection tasks on my taskbar and Firefox still was not responding. I had to manually close every one and turn off Live Protection before I could run Firefox again.

I've only got Spybot AV bought and installed today and already, I am beginning to regret buying it.

First thing that happened was I lost my Audio service and Windows couldn't fix the problem. I had to do a system restore and re-install Spybot again.

Then I tried to launch my online game and Live Protection decided it was going to scan all the files, 15 minutes later and the launcher screen was finally displaying. Then, because the launcher decided to download an update, Spybot decided to scan those as well. That's just a few files, imagine if I'd tried to actually play my game which has over 3gb of files There isn't even an option to ignore files run from a specified directory like other AV's I've used.

So I thought, Okay, I'll have a look here and see if any issues like this have been reported. That's when I had the problem with running Firefox.

I already have an AV that does sweet FA unless I manually run a scan, I wanted one that quickly and unobtrusively scans files I try to run. Spybot has always been great and totally unobtrusive for spyware and malware in the past so I decided to give the AV package a shot. What a difference! Now I can't run anything without a substantial wait while it completes it's scans before I can do anything.

Is there some way to prevent all this trouble apart from turning it off completely which sort of defeats the purpose of having it?

It needs to scan in the background but let you get on and then alert you to any threats if it finds any. If there's a virus in the files, it got there without Spybots intercepting it or was there before Spybot was installed and has probably already infected the system. A system scan would have picked that up if it had. The first thing it should do when installed is run a system scan to see if anything has already infected the system then ask the user to do a full file scan to see what file may have put it there. Tagging the files as scanned after teh file scan should then allow the user to run them unless they have been updated but Spybot should intercept the virus during the update anyway so there's no reason to keep scanning it after it's been tagged. If anything, a quick hash scan should determine if the file has been changed since it was last run.

There was a stream of live protection tasks on my taskbar.
    This is something I encountered also. There was like 30 Spybot on access processes. So I disabled active protection. I wonder why I have bought professional edition if live protection is not usable.
    DOCTUS.ORG Turkish security forum

Hello,

im sorry if you have problems with the Live-Protection!

Actually Spybot unfortunatly miss a Game-Mode.
    The only you can do is, if you knew you are going to start a huge App, disable the Live-Protection or atleast stop using the AS-Protection.

As far as i knew, there are plans to maybe add a better user-control-opportunatys into Spybot 2.2 and about

Quote Originally Posted by Tryst View Post
    I've only got Spybot AV bought and installed today and already, I am beginning to regret buying it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj.turkmaster View Post
    I wonder why I have bought professional edition if live protection is not usable.
    Spybot Professional offer more as only Live-Protection!
    Last edited by bbnetwork; 2013-06-12 at 15:02.

לשונות רעות שנפגעו שלוש פעמים: למי שמדבר, שדברו עליהם ומי שמקשיב.

שלום

Large applications includes Firefox? I wouldn't call that large by any means. However, the number of files it uses along with the application may be the factor to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryst View Post
    However, the number of files it uses along with the application may be the factor to deal with.
    Thats correct!
    And for FF this means Extensions and PlugIns and User-Files and, if you use tabbed browsing, all of them together with the Main-FF and the Maintenance-Server as much often as you have Tabs open.

שלום

Default Problem installing Live Protection

I just purchased Spybot S & D + AV 2.1, the Pro version. I am attempting to create a bootable CD. WAIK is installed but I'm unable to install Live Protection. When I boot the computer (from OFF) a window entitled “Spybot S&D 2 Tray” shows up. It asks if I want to install Live Protection. When I click Yes I get a window that says: “Could not install Live Protection driver. Error code is 5. Access Denied.” As it is, I can't get past the second step of the Boot CD Creator (Applications to Include) and won't be able to create the bootable CD until this is installed. What's going on here? (I hope this makes sense as my computer knowledge is very limited.)

Quote Originally Posted by prabhupad View Post
    I just purchased Spybot S & D + AV 2.1, the Pro version. I am attempting to create a bootable CD. WAIK is installed but I'm unable to install Live Protection. When I boot the computer (from OFF) a window entitled “Spybot S&D 2 Tray” shows up. It asks if I want to install Live Protection. When I click Yes I get a window that says: “Could not install Live Protection driver. Error code is 5. Access Denied.” As it is, I can't get past the second step of the Boot CD Creator (Applications to Include) and won't be able to create the bootable CD until this is installed. What's going on here? (I hope this makes sense as my computer knowledge is very limited.)
    You need to run the Setup of the Live Protection driver with Administartor-Rights. Please select the Setup-File of Spybot and click it with the right​ Mousekey -> now select "Run as Administartor"

שלום