Thread: Tea Timer "System Startup global entry" notification

Smile Tea Timer "System Startup global entry" notification

Hi, I'm new to Spybot and need some guidance regarding my first startup scan. I get a dialog box with the following:

Category: System Startup global entry
    Change: Value deleted
    Entry: SpybotSnD
    Old data: "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search_Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /autocheck autofix

Remember this decision.
    |Allow change| |?| |Info| |Deny change|

Does this mean Tea Timer found malware and wants me to allow its removal, or some other program (Norton, Malwarebytes, or some real malware) wants to remove Tea Timer from System Startup?

Also, after initial installation and initial check, next day started my computer twice and waited about an hour and a half (twice) for Search and Destroy to run its check only to have it freeze at the 834989/834990 mark in the file check, never to finish. Had to start Task Manager and "end process" Spybot. Same thing today. What's up with that?

Appreciate any help...thanks!

That means that teatimer is asking if it is okay to remove the startup entry for Spybot.If you click Allow,the Spybot program itself wouldn't run at startup:
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup...ybotSD.exe.htm
    After your first check,did a box popup and tell you some problems couldn't be fixed,and ask if Spybot could run on startup?

Thanks for clearing up the meaning of the dialog box!

Yes, I did get a message that some of the problems couldn't be fixed, so if I remember correctly, I configured it myself after that to run at startup, thinking that it might be able to quarantine them before they had a chance to load.

I will read the info on the link you sent...do you think it contains what I need to fix this?

Again, many thanks for your help!

Ok, so I understand I should "deny change", is that correct? Unless there is some reason why Spybot should not run on startup (like the hour and a half check time, for example...?). But isn't Teatimer a Spybot function? Also, if I "Allow change" will that fix the hangup at the end of the file check? I feel paralyzed...

Thanks!

No,if you Allow the change,that won`t fix the freeze at the end of the scan.
    Teatimer is a Spybot function,yes.
    http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/...dent-teatimer/

Ok, so I understand I should "deny change", is that correct?
    Well,it depends on whether it`s a run or runonce startup entry.Since Teatimer is asking,I figure it`s likely that it`s a runonce startup entry,and if it is,you`d want to Allow the change.(The Runonce Spybot startup entry would happen if you configured Spybot to 'Run program once at system startup' in Spybot`s settings when you configured it,and you'd get a runonce startup entry if you clicked Yes to Spybot running at startup when not all problems could be fixed in your first scan.)

There are a couple things listed here to try if Spybot freezes during a scan:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/...s-during-scan/

Did you configure Teatimer to run in paranoid mode?

Also,Spybot 1.6.2 is still supported,I believe,but it is getting a bit long in the tooth.
    If you have a compatible operating system,you might want to think about getting the newer version,instead of the old version:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/about/compatibility/