Thread: IE won't connect to internet after Spybot installed

Default IE won't connect to internet after Spybot installed

A friend was having some problems with her email address book possibly being compromised. I suggested she install and run Spybot S&D. She did and the scan found several problems and fixed them. Then Internet explorer could not connect to the internet. She uninstalled Spybot and IE could then connect. What is going on and what should I have her do?
    Michael

Which version of Spybot did she install,was it 2.1?

It was installed 6/7/13 so it was either 2.0 or 2.1 which ever was on the spybot website on that day.

A few people have posted about not being able to connect to the internet after installing Spybot 2.1,which is probably related to the proxy.
    I'm not sure if Spybot removes the proxy info under Connections when it's uninstalled or not,though.
    If it does,my best guess is that would explain getting her internet connection back after uninstalling Spybot.
    Either that,or losing her internet connection was temporary,and it just happened to come back after she uninstalled Spybot by coincidence.

If she reinstalls and loses her internet connection again,you could ask her to try opening Spybot-S&D Start Center,checkmarking Advanced Mode,click Settings,the Internet Protection tab,uncheck Use Spybot Proxy,then click Apply and Ok,and see if her internet connection is ok then.