Thread: Possible issue with spybot V 2.1. Hopefully false positives

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Possible issue with spybot V 2.1. Hopefully false positives

Hi, I seem to have a big Malware problem. Spybot V 2.1 has located 106 threats on my system, (Windows XP SP3 ), and I cannot remove them. This started about 2 weeks ago when I first started getting these windows security center alerts that my AVG antivirus might not be working. When I checked with AVG it says it is up to date and working fine.

I then went to run Spybot V 1.6.2.46, to check for problems, and it failed to load saying a dll file was missing. At this point I updated to Spybot V 2.1 for the first time. I immediately started getting No Disc Errors whenever I attempt to do anything in Spybot V 2.1. This had not been a problem in the past with the earlier versions I have used over the years.

The results of that first scan with V 2.1 has been plaguing ( me ) my system ever since. I’ve tried trend mirco’s free online anti virus, and malware scans, and they were negative no threats. I went to the micro-soft site and downloaded, and ran their malware and anti virus programs also negative. I also downloaded and ran Malwarebytes. None of these other programs have found any threat.

At some point I also attempted a system restore to several different point but it failed.

I have now done a XP recovery install from my installation disc. Things appeared to be getting better in that the windows security center alerts stopped popping up. But I still have the same threats showing up when I run Spybot V 2.1. Given that this recovery install didn’t get rid of the problem, I went to my last resort and restored a Nero back up recovery which was approx 9 months old. When I did this I was informed that everything on the drive would be lost and over written. That was 3 days ago. After the partition installed I allowed the anti virus, and windows update to bring the computer back up todate. I then updated and ran the old version of Sybot V 1. 6.2.46. No threats.

Last night I decided to update again to V 2.1. My first scan on the disc recovery was 119 threats found. These threats all seem to appear on my C –Drive, but that C –Drive is not a hard drive, it is an empty bay on a multi bay card reader. My actual hard drive is the I-Drive. When I attempt to fix the selected threats, the only things that appear to get removed are the common dialogs at the bottom. The 106 entries pointing to my C-Drive can’t be fixed.

I was looking at a thread on this forum earlier from NOV 2012 “ Spybot says my DVD drive is infected! :-/ ” Could I be dealing with some sort of false positive also??

Hello,

So did you run a System Scan with Spybot 2.1 where the items were found?
    Or did you run the File Scan?
    Do you have a log to see which items were found exactly?

I would also recommend to uninstall ALL versions of Spybot (including 1.6.2) and then make a fresh download of 2.1.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default Updated information

Sorry, I’m a little new at this forum thing, thanks for getting back to me. I’m running Windows XP SP3 Home, with Internet Explorer 8.0.

I have been running system scans, not file scans. When this first happened I did unstall, the earlier version of spybot prior to downloading, and running the new version. The results were the same, but all those results have been lost when I did the Nero back up recovery. I will still uninstall both, and then redownload, and install V 2.1.

I will attempt to attach a log.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default what the fix selected scan results looks like.

This is what the results of a fix selected scan looks like. Photo 1. None of the threats get fix, but the registry changes do. I will also get prompted to continue cleaning as the administrator. I select yes and only have the one profile to choose from, so I click OK on the current, and then everything disappears.

After a few seconds I get the error message in photo 2, and pop up, again asking if I want continue leaning as administrator. This cycle cannot go on and on until I select no. I did notice in the below window that it no long indicates that I have administrator privileges.

Not sure if this will be helpful.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (85.5 KB, 5 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (64.6 KB, 2 views)
    Last edited by Blitzer; 2013-06-13 at 03:25.

It looks like your computer is heavily infected.
    The majority of the found items are folders, if there are files inside that are locked by the system for instance because they are in use the folders may not be deletable right away. Try to remove these items in Windows Safe mode.
    born in the shadow to die in the shadow, that is the fate of the shinobi

Spybot S&D Downloads

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Thanks for the responce Yodama, but one of the problems is that the results indicate that those file locations are on a C - drive which for me is an empty card reader slot. I did look around on my I -Drive, but I couldn't seem to locate these file locations substituting I for C, ( I just looked for a few not all 106 ). I did run scans also in safe mode no difference in the results.

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Hello,

So did you run a System Scan with Spybot 2.1 where the items were found?
    Or did you run the File Scan?
    Do you have a log to see which items were found exactly?

I would also recommend to uninstall ALL versions of Spybot (including 1.6.2) and then make a fresh download of 2.1.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot
    So, I was looking at you reply again, where you ask what type of scan I had been running. System Scan or File Scan. I started up my computer and thought I would take a look at how the File Scan worked, as all my prior scans had been System Scans. I opened the File Scan, and started to try and figure out how to just scan my I - Drive. I made sure that just the I – Drive was checked. Which was the default, the way I found it.

I couldn’t really figure out how to get the File Scan to scan the complete drive. So I just went back to the Start center and ran a System Scan, while leaving the File scan window open. The result of this scan was no threats found.

I then rebooted the computer and ran another System Scan, without opening the File Scan window. All the threats came back. I’m not sure why this happened ?? But I’m thinking more like it might be a false positive issue.

Here are the 2 scans. 1752 was the scan done leaving File Scan open. 1840 was the scan after restarting and just going to System scan.

While doing up this reply, I redid a system scan with the file scan window open, and the threats are gone again.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Blitzer; 2013-06-14 at 03:12.