Thread: Virtumonde is back in 2013 ?

Default Virtumonde is back in 2013 ?

Hello, all.
    I ran a Virus Scan because I found out that Firefox's Search bar (The actual URL BAR)'s search wasn't redirected on Google anymore.
    It was cycled through some sites like websearch then tmf-something and then finally Local Moxie.
    I searched " Local Moxie " on Google and found out it was some sort of Virus.
    Okay, no problem.
    Ran a Virus scan and..
    What.. ?
    S&D took almost 15 minutes scanning some various components named Virtumonde.dll, scr and other.
    I searched for it and found out that it was some sort of web-browser virus.
    S&D removed everything it found (About 140 results) and that was it.
    But I don't know if it's done yet.
    I had the infamous SIREFEF.P Virus which I spent an entire week on removing it and it's gone now, but..
    Is the Virtumonde really gone ? I ran all sorts of scans with other tool such as Kaspersky's Virus Removal Tool and Malwarebytes Antimalware and they didn't find a single thing. I heard that the virus comes back when You reboot and going into safemode ends in a true BSOD on every startup.
    I never shut my laptop off since I always hibernate it but.. Shoud I restart it ?
    I mean, I'M FU**************** scared because this is my mother's old laptop and she still uses it and I can't pay for a new one.

Hello,

The scan for Virtumonde takes a little bit longer than the scan for other products. That's because the Virtumonde scan routine and detection rules are very complex. So as there is only Virtumonde in your status bar and not on the results list you are not infected. Nothing to worry.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Oh.. No, no.
    There wasn't the Virtumonde in my Result list..
    Thanks God.
    Also, please, forgive me and my manners. I was just extremely upset because it reminded me of the Sirefef.P.
    Ah, two more question.
    1: What if I actually get the Virtumonde Trojan ? Will S&D simply remove it ?
    2: What could have caused the Web-Search to mess up like that ?

Hello,

Spybot should detect Virtumonde if your PC is really infected with it.
    The other problem was probably the virus you mentioned that was fixed.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Oh, I see..
    Well, thank You for Your help.