Thread: Two functions fail to start when program starts.

Question Two functions fail to start when program starts.

I've recently installed SPYBOT + ANTIVIRUS Professional Edition and I'm encountering two worrisome phenomena:

1. Start Center > Settings > System Services > Scanner Service does not start when the program starts and when running sometimes shuts itself off, both cases requiring manual enabling/re-enabling;

2. Start Center > Settings > Internet Protection > Spybot Proxy > Use Spybot Proxy does not start when the program starts and requires manual enabling.

What can I do, if anything, to cause these two functions to start when the program starts and remain on? Your attention to--and help with--this matter will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Beauty is the purgation of superfluities. - Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni

Quote Originally Posted by Flyvapnet View Post
    I've recently installed SPYBOT + ANTIVIRUS Professional Edition and I'm encountering two worrisome phenomena:

1. Start Center > Settings > System Services > Scanner Service does not start when the program starts and when running sometimes shuts itself off, both cases requiring manual enabling/re-enabling;

2. Start Center > Settings > Internet Protection > Spybot Proxy > Use Spybot Proxy does not start when the program starts and requires manual enabling.

What can I do, if anything, to cause these two functions to start when the program starts and remain on? Your attention to--and help with--this matter will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Did you make sure, the Spybot-Services are set into the Windows-Service-Control to start automaticly?

לשונות רעות שנפגעו שלוש פעמים: למי שמדבר, שדברו עליהם ומי שמקשיב.

שלום

Question Erm....

Thank you, bbnetwork, for your reply. Would you please tell me where, exactly, "Windows-Service-Control" is located? In the event, having (or so I'd thought) installed SPYBOT + ANTIVIRUS Professional Edition correctly, ought not items checked for enabling in Start Center > Advanced Tools > Settings be sufficient to ensure their starting when the program starts?

Regardless, I'll be happy to fiddle with settings outside SPYBOT + ANTIVIRUS Professional Edition if I'm given an exact path to them in addition to their file names and extensions (the file names being all too often written in unintelligible code). My system information follows:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name MRCAT-08607D7B3
    System Manufacturer IBM
    System Model 1847W76
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1862 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date IBM 76ET69WW (1.29 ), 12/6/2006
    SMBIOS Version 2.33
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
    User Name MRCAT-08607D7B3\Joe
    Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
    Total Physical Memory 1,536.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 533.25 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 2.85 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    Believe me, your help in this matter is greatly appreciated. Continued best wishes to you; and please forgive me for not being more knowledgeable in regard to computing systems in general and my local machine in particular.

Last edited by Flyvapnet; 2013-06-22 at 07:54. Reason: I'd left out the third instance of the word "to" in the first sentence of the second paragraph.
    Beauty is the purgation of superfluities. - Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni

Default All 3 services fail to start

I have a very similar problem to yours, Flyvapnet, but have additional things too.
    I installed Spybot 2 for it's scanning abilities, not for Live Protection as I use ESET Smart Security 6, Malwarebytes and AdAware (no live protection either). But shortly before I purchased for Home User, my computer started having more and more problems. My original hard drive got more and more frustrating, so I would reformat and recover from an image file. Finally I must have done that at least twice so I bought it and did a few scans in between and finally found Win32\Downloader.gen. So now I'm going to have to wipe it and reinstall the factory image from Dell and go from there. I also have a 2nd larger hard drive that I was using as a kind of backup, but it didn't have all the same programs installed. It got so bad for whatever reason (no viruses?) that I wiped it and reinstalled a clean install recently, so I purchased another license for it, too.
    Well, lots of little things are not working but it's getting very annoying. Some of my startup programs won't start, including Spybot's Security Center Service, Updating Service and Scanner Service, even though they are on automatic because of error 7000 - system cannot find the path specified. I can do everything manually by opening the Start Center, but it finds nothing of consequence, but the proxy is whited out.
    I found a new beta scanner from Malwarebytes, mbar - http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbar, nothing found either, but it did work earlier on. It doesn't tell you what it found just that it did and will get rid of it. Also ESET won't update, it says check for Internet connection, FileHippo won't start, CNET Tracker won't scan, The Weather Channel connect to internet, Secunia PSI will start but won't let you inside to do a scan if it needs a manual update. There may be more programs not working in some way, but I tried BitDefender and became frustrated with it too, and reinstalled ESET, but it has its own problems. I did install HiJackThis and did a scan, but nothing pops out at me, but I saved the scan. I know a lot of minutia about my system, but you'll have to remind me how you generate the listing in the above post.

I hope you and I get some further help soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyvapnet View Post
    Would you please tell me where, exactly, "Windows-Service-Control" is located?
    to open the Windows-Service-Control you can:

- type services.msc into the Search-Bar over Start-Button or into Start->Run and press Enter
    - rightlick on
    "Computer" and choose "manage/adminter" and select Windows-Service-Control
    - there should alo be an entry in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

a window, like this
    should open
    Last edited by bbnetwork; 2013-06-25 at 13:03.

לשונות רעות שנפגעו שלוש פעמים: למי שמדבר, שדברו עליהם ומי שמקשיב.

שלום

Cool Two out of three items are running....

Thank you, bbnetwork, for your pictorial and written directions! All right, I found the relevant functions (there are three of them) and clicked on their Properties. All three are set to start Automatically. Two of them are running: Spybot-S&D 2 Scanner Service (because I had manually started it via the software's Settings due to its failure to start on Spybot's start-up) and Spybot-S&D 2 Updating Service.

Spybot-S&D 2 Security Center Service, however, is stopped. Repeated attempts to start it within Preferences were met with a dialog box which stated: "Could not start the Spybot-S&D 2 Security Center Service service on Local Computer. Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion." It's set to run Automatically all the same.

So, that's the state of affairs here: The Scanner Service still refuses to start on its own after program start-up and the Spybot Proxy likewise refuses to start on its own. Now what? How can I get Spybot's software to hold its own settings rather than disabling them and start those two functions when Spybot starts? Again, I thank you for your help.

Mcnoo, I'm sorry to learn you're having so much trouble! All I can help you with is finding your system information; and all I can do in that regard is tell you how I found it. If the Fates are with you, you'll be able to find it that way too. Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information. Click on that latter category and when it has finished loading, click on Edit > Select All and then Edit > Copy. Paste the data thus retained into whatever text program you use; and there you have it! Or so we can hope. Beyond that, best wishes and good luck to you!

Last edited by Flyvapnet; 2013-06-26 at 04:22. Reason: It turns out "paste" is spelled P-A-S-T-E rather than P-A-S-T.

Hello,

Please download a fresh copy of Spybot 2.1.
    Uninstall Spybot-S&D according to the following link.
    After restarting your system please download a fresh copy of Spybot-S&D and install it.

Then enable all the services you want to have installed and running.

Please run the Start Center and switch to advanced mode.
    Now start Settings.

Then go to the tab "Internet Protection". Here you can activate the checkbox for "Use Spybot proxy".
    Click "Apply“ and "OK“ afterwards.

Under the tab "System Integration“ you can install the "System Integration“ services. Click "Apply“ and "OK“ afterwards.

Now go to the tab "System Services". Here you can start the "System Services".
    Make sure the checkboxes down under are ticked for "Active after every reboot".
    Click "Apply“ and "OK“ afterwards.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default Fixed the 3 functions

Thanks, Flyvapnet, for your info. Lol, I probably should have known that.

Well, I finally got everything working, and then did some more work on uninstalling and reinstalling my printer, and some programs that are giving me fits.

All the next is for anyone who can help me, whether it be bbnetwork or SpybotSandra or whoever, please give me some direction, please:

My problem seems to be that every time I think I've got it solved, when I reboot and it starts up again, things go haywire. For a while it was that the Services would change state, or my firewall would no longer let programs thru to communicate with their url's, always something. Do you know how many times I've scanned my computer, either with ESET, Adaware, Spybot, the little program from Malwarebytes, Malwarebytes, and before I reinstalled ESET, I was trying out Bitdefender - no results. Aol installs, and I can get in for that session, but the next time I want to use it, I get a runtime error, something to do with KERNELBASE.dll. I'm pulling my hair. Aol says its Windows, and Microsoft says its Aol. No solution.

It sounds like I've got a virus or something, but I'll be damned if I can find it. I already wiped this hard drive once. This is a clean installation of my stuff, but man! I did it because it was happening before too, but I did not realize about Services not being right, but I now have learned! I did go in and manually set all the services because so many of them were wrong. But now I use a little program I got from ESET to repair the Services. Maybe my registry is hosed, who knows. Please help!

Question Thanks, but....

I thank you, Sandra, for your instructions! Well, I followed them to the letter but it's still no joy: The two recalcitrant functions still fail to start when the program starts, so I still have to start them manually. Alas! Your further guidance will be greatly appreciated!

Mcnoo, I'm glad you've made some progress in straightening out your computing system! It's seldom an easy task. As for your non-Spybot dilemmas, I suggest you see if there's a forum or thread on this board which addresses such matters. If so, I'd advise you to re-post the non-Spybot issues there. If not, well, you'll just have to keep searching the Web; or, if you know anyone personally who is expert in the field talk with them. Best wishes and good luck!