Thread: Good and Bad (really bad)

Default Good and Bad (really bad)

I installed the new product (2.1) on my Windows 8 (latest updates, 12 cores, 64gb ram) machine and thought the normal goodness of spotbot. So I decided to get a pro license to enable the "live" protection. That's when my system tanked.Oh well, I guess I would uninstall it, no harm no foul. I can eat one license, not a bigge.

Now windows defender will not run and shows the system32 directory when the action center tries to start it. I removed every reference of spybot from the registry along with the install dir. Still no go and not a happy camper.

So now I have a machine with no AV. Really not a good thing. It doesn't help that Windows 8 only keeps the last snapshot, so going back too far is no longer an option.

Doing a refresh puts me in license hell with my other software vendors as they monitor how many time I install stuff. The only backup I have, your wonderful product is installed in.

I wish you guys no ill will, but I want my defender back without doing a refresh and loosing my app installs.

Note: I did try to install 8.1 preview witrh Spybot 2.1 removed in the hopes that upgrade would fix things; nope. I reinstalled Spybot and it does not seem to work with 8.1 Action center, which was not big suprise and prevented any live protection.

Make me happy, please.

1) Nuke it and give me back my Windows Defender.....

or

2) Use the 12 cores and 64 gig of ram. Your software makes this run like a dead pig.

I reinstalled Spybot and it does not seem to work with 8.1 Action center, which was not big suprise and prevented any live protection.
    From what I'm reading on Windows 8,Windows Defender is shut off when you have another antivirus installed,so if you currently have Spybot 2.1 installed,I assume you'll also have to uninstall Spybot in the 8.1 preview,if it is currently still installed,as you did in Windows 8.

Follow this to find your Run command:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/w...is-run-command

Try copying and pasting this into the Run command,then press ok:
    sc start WinDefend Enable
    Last edited by Zenobia; 2013-07-01 at 10:18.