Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please Help remove SweetIM downloaded with UMark via download.com

Tried it again. Now I typed about:config and it worked-got me to the disclaimer. But when I right click the option to reset is not available (there, but faded out/not clickable). Status-default. Value-blank. Keyword enabled-true.

I am going to be unavailable due to travel. Please advise what I should do if this closes. I really appreciate all of your help!

Hi JulieC,

Don't worry about the topic being closed. Just so you know I will be away for about 3 weeks starting July 19. If we don't have this resolved by then I'll have someone else take over.

The results of the steps you did would indicate that the keyword search is all ready set to default.

Let's see if we can eliminate the possibility of an addon or plugin. Start FireFox in safe mode by
    • clicking the Firefox button in the upper left corner of the browser
    • highlight Help
    • click restart with addons disabled..
    • when FireFox opens click Start in Safe Mode
    Try a search.
    Member of UNITE and ASAP

Thanks. It STILL goes to Bing.

Hi JulieC,

Are you back?
    Member of UNITE and ASAP

I'm back! I somehow managed to get rid of the redirection to Bing. However, since the Sweet IM issue, I seem to be unable to update my Spyware Blaster. I get an error code each time that says at least one file is corrupted, so my latest protection dates back to June. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times from all available sources, but this does not fix the problem. Spybot S&D runs normally, although it keeps finding the exact same items, like it isn't fixing them. Do you think this is a related issue?

Hi JulieC,

Give me a bit to review this topic. What is SbyBot finding?
    Member of UNITE and ASAP

I just ran a scan. It found many entries under the categories of Tracks and Browser. Types are listed as browser cookie, browser cache, browser history, registry key, and registry change. I have private browsing enabled, tell websites I do not want to be tracked checked, and cookies disabled. I keep "fixing" these entries, but if I run another scan right now, I would bet they are almost all detected again. What other details do you need?

Hi JulieC,

Cookies usually are present. They are used by websites to keep track of your preferences, if you are logged in or not, etc. The term tracking cookie is somewhat misleading. These cookies do not actually track you around the internet. They are mostly used by advertiser to track visitors' prefernces as to what type of websites they visit. For example an advertiser may place a certain ad on a particular website. When a visitor views the page a cookie is placed on the computor. Should the visitor access another website that the advertiser also advertises on, an additional cookie is placed on the computer. The advertiser would then know what type of content the viewer was looking for and give an idea of what type of ads the viewer might be interested in. The advertiser would not know if the visitor visited any websites on which the advertiser did not advertise on. They also wouldn't know who you are, just that a particlur computer visted sites on which they advertise.

Invasion of privacy, possibly.

I don't think the presence of cookies would be the cause of the problem with SpyWare blaster. Not sure why you can't reinstall it. Spybot can do the same if you use the Immunuze botton after running a scan.

What setting are you using in Internet Options on the Privacy tab?
    Member of UNITE and ASAP