Thread: Some potential FYI for Spybot and Bitdefender users

Question Some potential FYI for Spybot and Bitdefender users

I installed Spybot free today and things immediately started to go wrong (very high cpu usage etc) so I uninstalled it. Then during the restart a very odd thing happened...

1)Spybot only partially uninstalled leaving a huge number of files in the instillation folder, the Spybot banner was still in the task-bar and it was connected to enough of the program to be able to load a Spybot window (which couldn't do anything).

2)When I restarted the computer windows paused the shutdown process and displayed the following message;
    A problem has occurred in BitDefender Threat Scanner. A file containing error information has been created at C:\Windows\TEMP\BitDefender Threat Scanner.dmp. You are strongly encouraged to send the file to the developers of the application for further investigation of the error.

I looked in the Windows\TEMP folder and found a large Bitdefender .dmp file that was created today.

And here is the confusing bit... I don't have Bitdefender installed. I had Bitdefender some months ago but changed to Webroot and Armor. I uninstalled BD with their uninstall tool and a manual search of the likely places to make sure it was all gone.
    The funny thing is that I know I checked the Windows\TEMP folder and I am certain there wasn't any Bitdefender byproducts in there.

So it appears BD is still in my system somewhere and it somehow interacted with my latest Spybot instillation (causing me a lot of work).

Take care :-)

Default SpyBot & BitDefender

Have same problems as mentioned above. Certainly need some advice before doing anything further with the file found on my machine.