Thread: Can't uninstall Spybot Search and Destroy

Default Can't uninstall Spybot Search and Destroy

Hi

I'm running Vista and I'm trying to install McAfee and need to uninstall Spybot Search and Destroy (free version). When I go to Control Panel / Uninstall, Spybot isn't listed in the list of programs.

I tried both Revo Uninstaller Free and Portable. Spybot still doesn't appear on Uninstall list.

I tried deleting Spybot from the Programs files but the system wouldn't allow it. I get a message saying I needed "Permission".

Any help greatly appreciated.
    Hector

I remember that permission prompt from Vista well.I can't give you exact instructions,though,because my Vista suffered death by coffee.

To try to remove the Spybot Search & Destroy folder in Program Files,you could try taking Ownership of it first before deleting:
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...ship-file.html
    I used to find taking manual ownership easiest.If that seems like the best way for you,you'd want to go to C:\Program Files,and then the Spybot-Search&Destroy folder is the one you'd want to take ownership of by following the instructions in the link above.(Doing this will most likely result in gritted teeth and premature grey hair,I'll warn you now,as I remember it almost never went smoothly.)

Hi there,

Excuse me for slipping into the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by eachannmn View Post

I'm running Vista and I'm trying to install McAfee and need to uninstall Spybot Search and Destroy (free version).
    Did McAfee tell you that Spybot-S&D had to be uninstalled in order to install their program?

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Quote Originally Posted by eachannmn View Post
    I tried deleting Spybot from the Programs files but the system wouldn't allow it. I get a message saying I needed "Permission".
    you can boot Windows into Safe-Mode, into this mode, you should be able to remove the Spybot-Folder, howwever if you only use the Free-Version of Spybot, its not neccessary to remove it.

לשונות רעות שנפגעו שלוש פעמים: למי שמדבר, שדברו עליהם ומי שמקשיב.

שלום