Thread: cant delete spybot 1.6.2 folder/files after uninstall

Default cant delete spybot 1.6.2 folder/files after uninstall

Installed Spybot 2.1.21. Uninstall of 1.6.2 failed with unins000.msg missing. Installed 1.6.2 again then it uninstalled ok. However, it leaves the Spybot search and destroy folder with a load of files in. I tried to delete the folder manually but get the error message that the folder or file in it is open. None are open. I did a restart and got the same issue. Running Windows 7. How do I get rid of the folder?

Go into add-ons in Internet Explorer and see if sdhelper is still there,and still enabled.It may be called Spybot-SD IE Protection.
    If it is enabled,refer to this page for instructions to try disabling it,then try deleting the folder again.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/i...ie=ie-10-win-7
    When you had Spybot 1.6.2,did you use teatimer?

As a side note,the older Spybot folder is called Spybot - Search & Destroy,and the newer Spybot folder is Spybot - Search & Destroy 2,so be careful to delete the older one,and not accidentally delete the newer one.

Default cant delete spybot 1.6.2 files

Spybot-SD IE Protection was enabled. I disabled it and tried again but it didnt work. I got the same error message. There is also an addon called Spybot - Search & Destroy |Configuration enabled. I have not tried to disable it in case its something to do with version 2.1?

I also use Google Chrome is there anything similar I need to do with that, I couldnt find anything?

As far as I know teatimer was not running.

I'd remembered having trouble deleting the Spybot folder when I had Spybot 1.6.2,and iirc it was related to sdhelper.I believe Spybot - Search & Destroy |Configuration is related to the older Spybot and isn't used with Spybot 2.1,so you could disable it if you'd like.But I doubt that is preventing you from deleting the Spybot folder.

Ok,I'm thinking it's most likely that some part of the old Spybot is running when you start your computer,and that is why you're getting the error message when trying to delete the Spybot folder.
    To be sure it's not Teatimer,open task manager,go to the Processes tab,and scroll through to make sure teatimer.exe is not listed as running,and let me know either way.

Default cant delete spybot 1.6.2. files

teatimer.exe is not running. I disabled the addon Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration and I managed to delete the files, so the problem is solved. Thanks.

Good,glad it's fixed.