Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Hopelessly infected, please help!

Hi OCD. Well, I tried everything. No luck with restore, safe mode, or the other user account. No Windows 8 tiles would open. So I "Refreshed my PC". Now things seem to work as before. Tiles open now, nothing seems out of place. I lost a lot, including my office 2010 software, spybot, chrome etc., but that is okay, I just bought office 2013, and the rest can be replaced. Here is a paraphrasing of what "Refresh your PC" told me.... "Here's what will happen: files and personalization settings won't be kept, PC settings will reset to default, Apps from windows store will be kept, Apps installed from discs or websites will be removed, A list of removed Apps will be saved on your desktop.

So I re-installed Chrome and Spybot, and installed my Office 2013 software. Everything seems okay. I did a scan with spybot and just got some browser cookies. I don't think I have any anti-virus software on here now, so any recommendations would be nice. I am limiting my browsing on here to make sure I don't do anything too stupid.

Oh, one last thing, I ran a windows update search, and it found 65 updates. It says I can't download them because I'm set for automatic updates and it will happen then. I disabled automatic updates, but still couldn't download them, so I re-enabled automatic updates then responded to this forum.

Can't thank you enough for the help,

Scofield.

Quick update, I managed to download the Windows updates. Everything seems okay, albeit being reset to factory defaults. I'm okay with that, however. I should probably create a new restore point I suppose, but I won't do anything without your advice.

Malware Team-Emeritus

Hi Scofield,

Sorry for my delay in responding to your previous post (today was a work day).

Sounds like a busy day for you. From your description of "Refreshed my PC" it sounds like it restored your computer basically back to it's factory original settings with a few minor items.

So with that in mind you should make sure you have an Anti-Virus & Firewall installed and enabled. You should also check to make sure System Restore is turned on. By default it should be enabled, but check just to be sure. It should give you the option of creating a restore point, or you can let it create on on it's own. It will do it automatically if System Restore is enabled.

Here are just a few suggestions:

Free Anti-Virus

Free Firewall

Using a third-party firewall will allow you to give/deny access for applications that want to go online. Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. Simply using a firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly. A tutorial on firewalls can be found here.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
    OCD
    ----------
    Graduate of WTT Classroom
    Member of UNITE

Threads will be closed if no response after 5 days

Hi OCD. From here, it looks like I will just follow your advice with the antivirus program and 3rd party firewall. Everything seems good. I have no further questions. I do want to truly thank you for all your help. It is very, very appreciated.

Scofield.

Malware Team-Emeritus

Hi Scofield,

You're very welcome. Glad I was able to help. Have a great day.

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic will be closed.
    OCD
    ----------
    Graduate of WTT Classroom
    Member of UNITE

Threads will be closed if no response after 5 days