Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New quarantine appearance - Trojan.FakeAV.NMi

Default Finally removed.

Using Safe Mode, I made two complete efforts to delete this Trojan.FakeAV.NMI and it returned every time,, once even double with different date of
    entry into my system.

I was using the "fix" key because that's all I ever use - I didn't hear from the "detective" and finally tried once more and noticed the "Purge" instruction.

When I used the "purge" instruction in Safe Mode it was gone and hasn't recurred. tuvm.

Quote Originally Posted by WHONOZEABOT View Post
    Thank you - I knew it was "harmless" left alone; I've always proceeded with other security programs to follow their delete or don't delete recommendation, but couldn't find anything to tell me what was the correct course.

I was surprised to find it showing up, frankly, as I am running the SpyBot Pro version - but that may be something I'm doing or not - I keep AV/AM on (it seems to shut itself down). I haven't seen or found a Trojan on this machine in 2 or 3 years; may have opened something inadvertantly.

Given the time I put into keeping machine secure, cookie and malware cleaned, and the discipline I've gradually learned to use to pare back my start-up list, I'm surprised on the machine being slower that early days, but I can't say I'm having problems. I use Secunia for updates, and do spot clean with CCCleaner and WinClean, the former mostly to reduce the advertising cookies I never seem to keep out.

thank you for your assistance.

Default thank you but I never saw this.

Where do I find these things out without trial and error?

1. I was unaware I had an "open thread" and wouldn't have known how to find it if I did.

2. Below you say, "Members can keep track of their threads . . . . " Again, how would I learn this? This about the only forum where
    I get answers when I read and thus I'd like not to be the village idiot. I use few forums as it is so inefficient and there are too many self proclaimed
    experts. Secunia has always been different at least in my experience.

3. I don't speak tech talk and thus had no idea the was a difference between a new topic and an open thread - I thought a thread was one topic.

4. Is there any way other than the classic trial and error that haunts the computer industry, making it difficult for me and many to learn, that you can suggest.
    I've read the instructions, but absent definitions and step by step discussion, I haven't been able to understand how to use the forum, divide into proper topics, etc.
    Thanks for any help - I've read what's in the forum instructions, but it isn't integrated and it isn't step by step and, for me, speaks in terms the writers use, not the meanings new readers are familiar with - add to that, different forums work different ways and most people give up (they just don't admit it).

I failed to follow the instructions because I didn't see that this communique had arrived. I'm not sure I would have known how to do it, but I haven't had time
    to find where one gets that info. As my note today says, once I accidentally saw the term "purge" and used it instead of "fix" the trojan didn't return.

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hello WHONOZEABOT,

It means you started a new topic and it was moved and merged with your open thread.

There is an edit at the bottom of the post, for instance,
    "Last edited by tashi; Aug 15th, 2013 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Moved from the malware forum and merged"

Members can keep track of their threads and choose how to be notified about updates. Subscriptions

Please upload the suspected file to VirusTotal to recheck and verify the scan result with different engines, then let us know the result please.

Best regards.

Hello WHONOZEABOT,
    Where do I find these things out without trial and error?

1. I was unaware I had an "open thread" and wouldn't have known how to find it if I did.

2. Below you say, "Members can keep track of their threads . . . . " Again, how would I learn this? This about the only forum where
    I get answers when I read and thus I'd like not to be the village idiot. I use few forums as it is so inefficient and there are too many self proclaimed
    experts. Secunia has always been different at least in my experience.
    A link was provided in post # 10.
    Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Members can keep track of their threads and choose how to be notified about updates. Subscriptions
    3. I don't speak tech talk and thus had no idea the was a difference between a new topic and an open thread - I thought a thread was one topic.
    Generally a topic is the subject, the matter under discussion. A thread is the string of posts responding to that topic. In other words the topic becomes a thread when more posts are added following the initial post.

4. Is there any way other than the classic trial and error that haunts the computer industry, making it difficult for me and many to learn, that you can suggest.
    I've read the instructions, but absent definitions and step by step discussion, I haven't been able to understand how to use the forum, divide into proper topics, etc.
    Thanks for any help - I've read what's in the forum instructions, but it isn't integrated and it isn't step by step and, for me, speaks in terms the writers use, not the meanings new readers are familiar with - add to that, different forums work different ways and most people give up (they just don't admit it).
    I understand, a forum can be confusing for new members.

If one is asking a question about a particular subject it's best if the original poster keeps the discussion within the original topic and not start another topic about the same issue, unless it is requested that the member posts logs to be analyzed in our malware forum.

Hope that helps.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016