Thread: Auto-deleting "Save Target As" attempts, "contained a virus and was deleted"

Exclamation Auto-deleting "Save Target As" attempts, "contained a virus and was deleted"

Recently got infected, attempted to remove the bug myself. Apparently not 100% successful, because ever since (3 weeks?) whenever I try Right-click > Save Target As, the file downloads, and is immediately deleted.

The pop-up message looks like a red MS Windows Defender shield and says "[file name] contained a virus and was deleted."

Here is a screen capture of the pop-up message:
    Capture.JPG

I'm using a PC (duh) with Windows 7 v.6.1 build 7601, with browser IE 10.0.9200.16635CO
    My last 'Spybot - Search & Destroy' was a few minutes ago. The result was the usual half-dozen ad cookies like DoubleClick. Thanks in advance.

** This issue does not affect "Save Picture As" in the same Right-click menu. I have been able to save files this way, but nothing which requires download such as MP3s. The files are known to be clean and do not actually contain a virus as claimed.

*** I have always used IE on this desktop. I have not attempted downloading files with Safari or any other browser, however I don't think IE is the problem as this issue began when I got infected.

Hello NickGrooves,

Please see the FAQ which includes guidelines for this forum in post #1 and instructions in post #2 on how to provide the preliminary DDS and aswMBR logs used for analysis.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

Then start a new topic providing the logs, a volunteer analyst will advise when available.

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016