Thread: Hotspot Shield

Default Hotspot Shield

Spybot detects Fraud.HotspotShield as "very critical" malware and deletes everything necessary for Hotspot Shield (by AnchorFree) to run. Spybot indicates that Fraud.HotspotShileld says that it is anti-spyware, but then sends the user a list of risks, telling them they must by a license to have those risks removed.

The HotspotShield (by AnchorFree) removed by Spybot, however, has never sent me a message about "risks on my computer" or told me I needed to buy a license to remove those risks. In fact, it gets 5-stars from CNET - see their review at http://download.cnet.com/hotspot-shield/ They note that Hotspot Shield is a VPN providing security on open networks.

It would be great if someone at Spybot took another look at what's being detected and removed for Hotspot Shield (by AnchorFree)

Post Confirm

thank you for reporting this issue, it will be corrected with the next detection update scheduled for Wednesday 2013-09-11.

Default HotSpot Shield

I am having the same problem on
    one of my PC's (I have 3)

Spybot tags HSS on one computer
    only as being a serious threat level

Rule #B6D75DF2

It's a royal PITB to have to continually
    uninstall and reinstall HSS (I don't always
    find all of the instances)

Will greatly appreciate a fix for this

Thanks karen

Default Confirmed. This issue will be fixed on 2013-09-11.

Thank you very much for reporting this issue. We have updated our MalwareC database. It will be published today, 2013-09-11.
    Please help us improving Spybot and download our distributed testing client.