Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keyboard Quit Working, Asks to Choose Operating System at Startup

Malware Team: Emeritus

Hi Morpheus

All that happened was a MS-DOS window appeared for about half a second, then went away.
    Has not worked

Enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
    • Restart the computer.
    • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
    • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
    • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
    • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
    • Select your user account an click Next.

To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:
    • Insert the installation disc.
    • Restart your computer.
    • If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
    • Click Repair your computer.
    • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
    • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
    • Select your user account and click Next.

On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:
      • Startup Repair
        System Restore
        Windows Complete PC Restore
        Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
        Command Prompt

• Select Startup Repair
    • The tool will start to run.
    • If a startup problem is detected, Startup Repair will start automatically and try to fix the problem
    • Next try to run Scandisk again
    Last edited by Robybel; 2013-09-20 at 07:42.
    - Proud Graduate of WTT Classroom -

- Member of UNITE -

Well, that didn't work either. Startup Repair found no issues. Tried to run scandisk again, and got the same result. Scandisk sheduled, scandisk cancelled. So not sure what, if any, steps are next.

As you don't see any malware on there, might a system restore be attempted? I definitely know a date when the computer was working just fine.

Thanks for your help and patience.

I found this article:

HTML Code:
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/check-disk-will-not-run-at-startup
    Mine is different than what this article says it should be?

Hi Morpheus

Try this

System Restore 7
    Set a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since System Restore is a protected directory, your tools can not access it to delete these bad files which sometimes can reinfect your system. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:

1. Create a new Restore Point

• Click your Start button
    • Right click My Computer and click properties
    • Click on the System Protection
    • Check to make sure that you have System Protection turned on for the listed available disk, that you want to create a restore point for
    • Click on the Create button
    • Type in a description for the restore point
    • When the restore point has finished being created, click on the Close button

Clear the old System Restore points
    • Click Start, type Cleanmgr.exe and press ENTER
    • Select the C:\ drive from the list and click OK
    • Click Disk Cleanup
    • Click Clean up System files
    • Click the More Options tab
    • Click Clean up under System Restore and Shadow Copies.
    • On the confirmation screen click Delete
    • click OK on the Disk Cleanup Screen
    • On this confirmation screen and click Delete Files.
    This will remove all Restore Points except the most recent one.

- Member of UNITE -

Quote Originally Posted by Robybel View Post
    Hi Morpheus

Try this

System Restore 7
    Set a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since System Restore is a protected directory, your tools can not access it to delete these bad files which sometimes can reinfect your system.
    I am not following you. Are you saying there was malware on my computer? I only ask because we have not run any tools to remove anything. Also, the issue with not being able to run scandisk. If I delete all my old restore points, won't that keep me from trying to restore to a time when there were no issues? Or from booting to my last known good configuration?

Thanks.

Hi morpheus

I'm sorry, I was wrong to give you instructions about the system restore I'm very sorry

OK

1. Navigate to the Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools program group.

2. Click on the System Restore program icon.

3. Click Next > on the Restore system files and settings window.

4. Choose the restore point that you want to use.
      Note: Check the Show more restore points checkbox to see more than the most recent restore points.
      Note: Any restore points that you created, scheduled restore points that Windows 7 created, and those created automatically during the installation of certain programs will be listed here. You can not use System Restore to undo Windows 7 changes to a date that a restore point does not exist.

5. Click Next >.

6. Click Finish on the Confirm your restore point window to begin the System Restore.
      Note: Windows 7 will shut down to complete the System Restore so be sure to save any work you might have open in other programs before continuing.
      Important: System Restore will not revert any of your non-system files like documents, email, music, etc. to a previous state. These types files are completely unaffected by System Restore. If your intention with this tool was to recover a deleted non-system file, try using a file recovery program instead of System Restore.

7. Click Yes to the Once started, System Restore cannot be interrupted. Do you want to continue? dialog box.

8. System Restore will now restore Windows 7 to the state that was recorded in the restore point you chose in Step 4.
      Note: The System Restore process could take several minutes as you see the "Please wait while your Windows files and settings are being restored" message. Your computer will then reboot as normal when complete.

9. Immediately after logging in to Windows 7 after the reboot, you should see a message thatSystem Restore completed successfully.

10. Click Close.

11. Check to see if whatever Windows 7 problem you were troubleshooting has been corrected by this System Restore.
      If the problem still persists, you can repeat the steps above and choose another restore point if one is available.
      If this restoration caused a problem, you can always undo this particular System Restore.

- Member of UNITE -

Well, finally some success. I chose a restore point where I knew my computer was behaving correctly. Upon re-starting from the system restore, it said Windows could not start, and it ran the Startup Repair tool on its own. After running for about 30 minutes, my computer started successfully.

I re-updated Adobe and re-installed some Windows updates. Re-booted. It did not ask me to choose an operating system. Strangely, however, all of my account settings are now gone, and it seems now that starting up the computer and shutting it down takes an inordinate amount of time. I used to have to pick an account to log in under, but it boots straight away without giving me that option. Strange.

Anyways, at this point it seems that a new keyboard and hard drive are in order, since you did not see anything malicious in my logs. As I will have to bring it to a professional for these repairs, I believe, unless you tell me otherwise, it is safe to close this thread.

Robybel, thanks for all your help. A truly amazing site and an even more amazing set of volunteers.

Hi Morpheus

We can eliminate a bit of rubbish, in order to reduce waiting times. But since you need to replace your HD, I think we can close the topic.

- Member of UNITE -

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

- Member of UNITE -